Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya 12029 F1 Renault

delon
12-17-2006, 07:57 AM
I would like to ask any one who has bought and made this model what they thought of the kit , also (sorry for being greedy ) but does any one know much about air brushing as Ive got the compressor the air brush the regulator but no knowledge about them have allways been a paintbrush man in the past.Cheers

MPWR
12-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Welcome to AF!

No and yes.

The Tamiya kit has undoubtably been purchased and built, though not by me. I don't remember seeing one built there (doesn't mean it hasn't been done) but I'm sure it's excellent. It's just now being rereleased, so if you wait a month or so I'm sure some one will build one here.

Many of us have much experince with airbrushes. Some have more experience than others. Wouldn't build without one.

delon
12-17-2006, 08:29 AM
thanks for your response are ther any particular paints and thinners that you prefer personally? also I have an un built 1/12 Bentley tubocharged vintage kit. any tips would be really useful thanks

freakray
12-17-2006, 08:52 AM
thanks for your response are ther any particular paints and thinners that you prefer personally? also I have an un built 1/12 Bentley tubocharged vintage kit. any tips would be really useful thanks

Since you're new here and obviously eager for advice and knowledge, may I take this opportunity to point you to the 'How To' and 'Car Modelling FAQ' section. You will find threads on everything from airbrushing and painting to modifying and scratchbuilding in those sections and I am sure you'll find a lot of your lust for knowledge satisfied.

MPWR
12-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Like Ray sed, teh How-to's and FAQ's are always a good place to start. Got another question? Use the forum search feature to see if you can find the answer as your first step. Some other tips:

1. Always ask clear, specific and detailed questions. Give as much info as you can. Often this will require you to figure out first just what it is that you want to know first. But vague questions result in vague, meaningless (and sometimes sarcastic) answers.

2. Learn to use your airbrush. It takes practice, experience, and patience. No amount of Q&A can replace practice. If you have problems or questions, feel free to ask them- but if you want a good answer, try to figure out specificly what you want to know first.

3. Learn to use your airbrush on something other than expensive/rare 1/12 kits.

There are at least a half dozen different paints I use for different applications- each have their own advantages and disadvantages. If I was painting a 1/12 Williams, knew how to airbrush, and lived in the UK I would probably use Hiroboy's Zero paints- but I absolutely would not try to use it as something to learn to airbrush with. If I was learning to airbrush, I would use Tamiya acrylics and acrylic thinner.

ZTony8
12-18-2006, 01:30 PM
I built that kit when it was released back in the late seventies.I do remember a fit issue between the upper body work and the monocoque at final assembly.The body work seemed to fit fine prior to that,but when it came time to drop the upper body on for the final time it didn't want to snuggle down all the way to meet the side pods.Be sure that all the piping and hoses are tucked out of the way before you drop the upper body down and be sure the side pods are fit properly.Good luck!
P.S.-I still have the model but it now sits in my basement slowly dis assembling itself

stevenoble
12-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I built that kit when it was released back in the late seventies.

I think you may have the wrong kit in mind.Kit No 12029 is the 1/12th Tamiya Williams FW14B.The real car wasn't in existence until 1992?

Add your comment to this topic!