Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing Aftermarket Steering Wheel

HondaManDan
12-17-2006, 02:28 AM
I'm installing a Grant GT wood steering wheel in my 95' Park Ave, however the only kit I could find fits all buicks up until 93', the year before they switched-over the steering wheel style.

Will this kit still work for my 95'? It looks as though it will, however I've never taken the steering wheel off... I'd rather not mess it up and screw with the air-bag and such until I'm positive the setup will work.

Has anyone done this on a 94-up Park Ave?

Thanks

Dan

Loekee75
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I've only had experience with removing the steering wheel from a '91 Buick Lesabre, which had the even earlier steering wheel than the '91-'93 park avenue steering wheels, and a '92 PA with the airbag. With exception to the airbag of course, the main bolt was the same size, and the horn lead was even set up the same. I'd say chances are good that the '94- steering columns are pretty much identical to the earlier models as far as steering wheel setup is concerned.

HondaManDan
12-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks, I'll look into it more. Maybe I can get to a junkyard and try taking one off a junker before trying it on my daily-driver.

Thanks! I'm kinda excited now!

Dan

rotaran
12-28-2006, 12:15 PM
So what i have to notice if i want to remove the airbag-steering wheel on my 92 PA? What about the checking light?

Mike

Loekee75
12-28-2006, 07:25 PM
So what i have to notice if i want to remove the airbag-steering wheel on my 92 PA? What about the checking light?

Mike

Remove the SIR fuse and disconnect the yellow connector from under the steering column (the wires in conjunction with the yellow connector are wrapped in yellow insulation, also) Wait 10-15 minutes to allow the power to drain from the airbag module. There is still power in the module even after the fuse and connector are removed for safety purposes. You can also disconnect the battery as well, just to be on the safe side (I did this)
Now you're ready to remove the module. There are 4 screws behind the steering wheel that hold the module in place. Once these are removed, CAREFULLY lift up the module off the steering wheel and disconnect the connector and horn lead. Place it somewhere facing upwards where it won't fall or get hit in any way.

Loekee75
12-28-2006, 07:29 PM

Mike

When the airbag module is removed, the airbag check light should stay lit.
To remove the module, remove the SIR fuse and disconnect the yellow connector from under the steering column (the wires in conjunction with the yellow connector are wrapped in yellow insulation, also) Wait 10-15 minutes to allow the power to drain from the airbag module. There is still power in the module even after the fuse and connector are removed for safety purposes. You can also disconnect the battery as well, just to be on the safe side (I did this)
Now you're ready to remove the module. There are 4 screws behind the steering wheel that hold the module in place. Once these are removed, CAREFULLY lift up the module off the steering wheel and disconnect the connector and horn lead. Place it somewhere facing upwards where it won't fall or get hit in any way.

HondaManDan
12-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Loekee, do you know if the 91-94 steeringwheels mount exactly the same as the 95' up? because the kit I found only works on models up to 94'... before they changed the steering wheel over.

Thanks.

Dan

Loekee75
12-29-2006, 04:05 PM
That's interesting that the kit works up to the '94 because the '94 is the year the newer style wheels came out, used until '96. I've been wondering the same thing myself, as I want to get a later style wheel for my '92. I'm guessing yes, because the older style wheels from the pre '90 model PAs fits the same as mine.

rotaran
12-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks Loekee75 :thumbsup:

Gruß Michael

Add your comment to this topic!