Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No Start, No Spark. Need Help 88 Cutlass 2.8

Roudy4x4
12-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Ok, when I bought the car the owner told me that when it rains, sometimes the car wont start, well it ran fine, and i shut it off at the gas station to get gas, and after it wouldnt start. Its been two weeks since then and I have let it all dry out, Ive replaced all 3 coil packs, checked all fuses, new plugs, and wires. Still no start, and still no spark.

When the car dies, it showed a code 51 Prom Error
I was going to check the crank sensor, but I cant find it. From what I understand it should be above the oil filter, but Im not seeing it in that location...

Ive read on other forums that the Prom Error will still allow the car to start.

Please Help I need this car to run...

Thanks In Advance

Ian Szgatti
12-16-2006, 09:45 PM
First off, you should check to see if your getting spark at the plugs. A faulty CKPS will won't allow the ignition to fire. Also check that your getting injector pulse.

You can check it a couple of ways. The first is to check for a pulse at the harness that plugs into the igntion modual. You'll need a meter and a diagram to locate the CKPS wire.
You can also remove one coil and connect a wire from the two prong to a halogen headlamp... crank the engine over to see if the light pulses. Chances are water is getting somewhere it shouldnt due to a crack. The crankshaft position sensor is located in the crankshaft balancer. Remove serpentine belt, balancer, and inspect reluctor ring/sensor. Just replace it if you cant test it.

Roudy4x4
12-17-2006, 12:40 AM
As the title says I have no spark, so checking the spark at the plugs is out of the question, and you said check for inj. pulse at the ign. harness dont you mean the injector harness? I will check the pulse in the morning, and let you know, but Im pretty sure that I do have pulse cause when im cranking the engine, I can hear ticking like the injectors.

But, to test the crank sensor, i need to tap into the plug while it is still pluged in, does anyone know what wires and where to find them in a harness, so i dont have to remove the balancer? Thanks

maxwedge
12-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Check this link before going any further relative to the ckp sensor. http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0e/d2/13/0900823d800ed213.jsp

Roudy4x4
12-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Ok, heres the update, I didnt check the CPS, but instead I first took the Ignition Module (ICM) off and took it to Autozone.
Testing the ICM showed it to fail 6 times in a row.

Now, im trying to think, what blew the ICM in the first place?

Does anyone think the ECM could have did it, when I code scan the car, it shows code 12, and thats it, Ive read that if the ECM shows code 12, then it should be working, and the car should run... What do you all think?

I wont know till next weekend when I try a new ICM, Im just hoping I dont put one in and blow it...

Thanks

theragtopguy
12-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Those ICMs will blow at random for no apparent reason. I'm sure your Olds will be ok when you put a new one in.

Roudy4x4
12-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Thanks

BTW my friends Dad is an ASE Tech. and he said that alot of GM cars will put up code 51 Prom Error when the battery has been disconnected, and most of the time there is no real problem. So for future refrence is you get code 51, try disconnecting the battery and clearing the memory, and see if it comes back...

CL8ON'S FIORD FIXM
01-13-2007, 04:51 PM
if you still get a prom code after clearing the memory then you should try replacing the ECM just rember to take the prom chip out of your old ECM and put it in the new ECM as the chip has all your vehicle's specs programed into it.

Add your comment to this topic!