`95 Avalon XL AC, Defroster/Defogger, Electrical, Vents, dash buttons, Problems LOOK>

Vitalichka
12-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi everyone,
after not being able to find any help online or with any living human being that I saw about the problems I am going to discuss here with you today, I remembered you guys, the good ol' AF members.

I am the proud owner of a 1995 Toyota Avalon XL.
Besides the fact that this is a great car, and drives very well, I am having a few minor problems which I am having the hardest time diagnosing.

My AC doesn't work.
The compressor has pressure and freon in it, however it seems to be an electrical problem as when you turn on the fan wether on hot or not, the AC light turns on and you can't turn it off.
The compressor never turns on either.
Hot air blows fine.

The air vents in the console cannot be opened or closed.
When you press the button to switch between the two options, you hear a clicking noise but nothing really happens.

The rear windshield defroster/defogger doesn't work.
When you press the button, which by the way is never lit up wether you push it or not, nothing happens and the rear window is still frozen over.
This is a major issue for me because I live in SLC, UT which means that it gets pretty cold and snowy here, makes it very difficult to drive.

The lights on the dash console where the AC controls are at, do not work.
I have been told by one guy that it could be a relay problem however I am not too sure how to check wether they are okay or need to be replaced and also if one or two are missing completely as I have not been able to find any auto books on the Avalon.

I have also been told that the reason the Defroster is not working is maybe because the cable that connects to the defroster is unattached.
However I don't know where that cable is and how to find it.

I have checked the fuses and relays and some are missing, however I don't have the manual to the car nor have I been able to find any information on the car online. Even mechanics don't know what it is. I think that it could be a missing or dead relay but it could be that some are supposed to be mising since this is an XL and not an XLS.
If anyone has a picture of the Avalon XL relay and/or fuse boxes and can post it here, it would be great

If anyone can help, please do.
I absolutely love this car and if I could fix these problems, I would continue driving it and would definately enjoy it more.

Thank you all in advance, I hope to hear from you.
Happy Holidays,
Vitaliy:confused:

Sherrythere
06-19-2009, 08:08 AM
I think I have the answer, at least part of it. There is a mild clicking/grinding noise and I traced it to an area to the right of the gas pedal, just under the lip of rug in the middle section of the car under the dash. It is a white, nylon sliding mechanism that was not sliding but stuck. Using a tooth brush, I touched the mechanism and it slid to the right (ie, toward the back of the car). The clicking stopped! But I learned a minute ago (per wife) that so did the AC. So, the two are related. Go to that place, find the mechanism, use a screw driver (no fingers) and push the slider to the left and see what happens. Let me know, OK?
Best,
JON

Vitalichka
06-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi Jon, thanks for following up on my question. Unfortunately the car is gone now. Had some very interesting things happen to me on that car (read: wheel flies off while driving because the idiots at Victor's Tires in Salt Lake didn't tighten the bolts. I was heading toward the freeway, luckily didn't make it to it) among other things but I do remember a clicking noise as if the vents would open or close and it did come from the area you describe.

I loved that car and recently went to look at another one but it was in terrible condition.

Again, thanks for getting back to me on that and take care.

Vitaliy

Add your comment to this topic!