Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Idle problem

marc's95esi
12-16-2006, 04:45 AM
Ok. I have a 95 ESI and it tends to idle extremely low at times (even lower then 400 rpm's) and other times it will be fine. It only does it when the car is warmed up. The car has 190k on it and I have just recently done a tune up and major motor work such as new timing components, water pump, and bad valves replaced. The car has always had the idle problem though. Any ideas on what it could be? I also checked for vacuum leaks and didn't notice any problems there. Thanks.

l_eclipse_l
12-16-2006, 06:22 PM
It's going to be a sensor. Either the IAC or the TPS.

Talon69
12-16-2006, 07:43 PM
:1:

marc's95esi
12-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Thanks. I'll check into them this weekend.

MazdaX
12-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Never rule out a vacuum leak though when it comes to funky idles.

eclipsed at 3am
12-18-2006, 05:15 PM
check the tps adjustment and iac ohms too. the tps, iac, biss, throttle cable, temp sensor, and throttle plate all play a role in idle. other things affect the idle, but those are the first main things. make sure they are all adjusted properly and see if that helps.

i have a super funky idle, my throttle cable is too loose, or too tight, or my tps is not aligned right, or the throttle plate spring isnt strong enough, or something stupid. i have about the same problems as you.

marc's95esi
01-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Ok I have had a computer hooked up to the car and it is not sending any codes. I have checked every single vacuum line in the car, I have checked the plugs and wires, and I am open to any other options. Someone told me it could be a idle speed regulator but wouldn't that come up as a code when the computer is hooked up to it? Please help because I am very anal about my car and this is driving me insane

david-b
01-15-2007, 10:41 AM
The idle speed regulator is the Idle Air Controller (IAC). That and the TPS can go bad without sending codes. Replace the IAC and see if that works. It should be it. If you unplug it while running the car, there should be a change in the idle. If there's not, then that's the problem. It seriously sounds like the IAC though.

marc's95esi
01-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Ok thanks very much I will check that out asap.

Add your comment to this topic!