Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

5-speed tranny in a 71 cheyenne

2000 Tahoe Limited
12-15-2006, 10:18 PM
i have a 71 chevy cheyenne. 68 model corvette 327 that is built to about 450hp. it currently has a th350 with a shift kit a 2300 stall, and 3.73 posi. i am wanting to put a 5speed out of a newer truck in it. most likely from an 87-95. what all do i need to get to make it work. pedals, computer, wiring ect. thanks in advance for the help

TEXAS-HOTROD
01-05-2007, 09:52 PM
There's 2 ways you can do it, it just depends on what you want and what you are able to do (and willing to pay for). I can look on my '68 C20 and see how the clutch pedal/bell crank system is mounted/connected if I need to.
Most late model trannies have an itegral bell housing and use a hydraulic clutch system. So which ever pedal assembly you install, you will have to make modifications to make the hydraulic pedal fit the old body. The clutch master cylinder will have to be mounted to the firewall (with reinforcements) and then connected with a custom made push rod. The stock pressure line and throw-out-bearing for the late model tranny should fit the old chassis.
Since bolt patterns haven't changed over the years, everything else would bolt right up. Use a 327/350 flywheel, a new style pressure plate (to work with the throw-out-bearing/slave cylinder unit) and a performance clutch disc.

You can get a complete pedal assembly and bell crank system from a donor truck and make it an all mechanical system. The old system can only be used with a seperate tranny/bell housing configuration. The only problem here is that you're limited on choices of 5 speed boxes.
I have a current project where I planned on using a Muncie M21. I changed my plans and decided on a Mustang T5. With some easy machine work, I mated the Ford box to the Chevy bell housing. I adapted a Ford pilot bushing to the Chevy crank and have a Ford clutch disc that will work w/the Chevy pressure plate. It's a mix/match of parts but everything works prefectly together.

Decide which clutch system you want to use and go from there.

Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!