Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vacuum?

thunderchicken2
12-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Ok, so I took my BOV off and inspected it. I figured out that the valve was barely opening, if at all. I checked for any air leaks and came up with only one, which I will ask about in a second. I thought it was the BOV itself, so I purchased the new BOV (same model I had, Greddy Type-RS) and receieved it today, only to find out that it had no effect on my problem. Ok, so it isn't the BOV, there's $200 well spent. Now the vacuum leak I mention is in the area near the intake, and to me, it actually seems to be the sound of just air flowing through the intake, but I haven't had enough experience to know for sure, and my mechanic couldn't figure it out either. Does anyone know what could be causing it to not blow off, or for the valve to not be opening? As I said..it can't be the BOV because the new one did the same thing.

defiancy
12-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Ok, so I took my BOV off and inspected it. I figured out that the valve was barely opening, if at all. I checked for any air leaks and came up with only one, which I will ask about in a second. I thought it was the BOV itself, so I purchased the new BOV (same model I had, Greddy Type-RS) and receieved it today, only to find out that it had no effect on my problem. Ok, so it isn't the BOV, there's $200 well spent. Now the vacuum leak I mention is in the area near the intake, and to me, it actually seems to be the sound of just air flowing through the intake, but I haven't had enough experience to know for sure, and my mechanic couldn't figure it out either. Does anyone know what could be causing it to not blow off, or for the valve to not be opening? As I said..it can't be the BOV because the new one did the same thing.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are asking?

What is the problem you are having first off. What is your car doing? Can you just hear a leak or is it effecting performance.

The leak, where on the Intake is it?

If you can answer those than I can help you.

Also what year and model car are we talking about? It's best just to put it in your sig.

And yet again, Just for future reference threads like this belong in the Problem Diagnosis section. A mod will probably move it soon.

thunderchicken2
12-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Ok, I apoligize for not being very clear. When I first bought the car I noticed a "whipple" sound (not the sound of it releasing air as everyone thinks it is) as the turbo was let off, which I found out was not a big problem. At the same time I was checking that out, I noticed that the BOV would barely open to release the air. The car seems restricted through the turbo and I am not getting the power out of it that I should be, and I think this is where the problem is coming from (the BOV not opening).

The air I am hearing seems to actually be inside the intake itself..the throttle body maybe? I hope this helps clear things up a bit..

defiancy
12-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Ok, I apoligize for not being very clear. When I first bought the car I noticed a "whipple" sound (not the sound of it releasing air as everyone thinks it is) as the turbo was let off, which I found out was not a big problem. At the same time I was checking that out, I noticed that the BOV would barely open to release the air. The car seems restricted through the turbo and I am not getting the power out of it that I should be, and I think this is where the problem is coming from (the BOV not opening).

The air I am hearing seems to actually be inside the intake itself..the throttle body maybe? I hope this helps clear things up a bit..

Is your BOV adjusted? IE did you set the spring tension using the screw on top?

When you say intake, do you mean the intake manifold or the intake itself? Because the TB is on the intake manifold. But that is a very large possibility if you are getting a leak that it could be from a TB leak. Take some either soapy water or some brake or carb cleaner and spray it on the cracks and seals of the tb and intake manifold.(Basicly anywhere it connects to something else, or has a gasket etc.) IF it bubbles that is where your leak is at.

thunderchicken2
12-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Well it adjustment screw on the old one is broken off, but I messed with it with the new one on and it had no effect at all. I adjusted it as far as I could go both ways and still nothing.

defiancy
12-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Well it adjustment screw on the old one is broken off, but I messed with it with the new one on and it had no effect at all. I adjusted it as far as I could go both ways and still nothing.

Well are you adjusting it correctly? Usually you try to set it somewhere in the middle for normal boost. But it sounds like maybe you have a boost leak somewhere.

Add your comment to this topic!