Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help Lesabre Will Not Fire!

Chris_0908
12-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Ok Lady's and gent's heres a brain teaser for you all I have a 1994 Buick Le Sabre with a really stange problem I've never seen before. I go to start the car and it giving a week battery symtom, well I replaced the battery and yet it still does it. I have amp and sub in the car but they aren't connected at the moment, does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going wrong, the alternater was replaced 6 months ago, and I am racking my brain. I'm thinking it could be the silenoid or something but I don't know. The car sounds like it wants to fire but its not turning fast enough or long enough. Any ideas?????

HotZ28
12-14-2006, 11:42 PM
First, we need you to conduct the following test for us.:grinyes:

1) Measure battery voltage like it currently sits.
2) Measure battery voltage while a friend is trying to start the car for you.
3) Jump the battery with a set of battery cables from another car and if it starts, measure the battery voltage while it is running @ 1000 rpm +. (Be sure jumper cables are disconnected when testing here):iceslolan

Post the results of the above and we can continue! :popcorn:

Alibi
12-15-2006, 03:00 PM
It does sound like you're not getting enough juice. While you're testing the battery, check all the connections for tightness and clean off any corrosion. Hmm... I've heard of battery cables corroding from the inside out before too so perhaps testing thier resistance wouldn't hurt either.

Not to jump over HotZ's advice (follow it!), but it could also be a weak starter. If the solenoid were bad you wouldn't get any cranking. If not, then perhaps a bad ground?....

Just throwing it out there :D

Chris_0908
12-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Well I tested the voltage from the battery and its giving off 17 volts and at the starter its the same, I took off the starter and brought it to Autozone and had them test it to see if it was shot, IT'S NOT come to find out. All the connections are good, well I got fed up with the dang thing put the starter back in and got ahold of my fathers wrecker (saves a ton of cash with a wrecker is in the family with me, I am known as the car killer of the family). Well I towed the car to a place I deal with when I'm stumped. Here is his good idea in his exact words "Your screwed kid, the engine is seized, I checked the fluids and your oil was low, I added quart by quart and after 3 quarts you were still down by 1, I won't know for sure until I can get the car on the lift tomorrow." Now heres a REALLY good question, shouldn't the oil light on the dashboard come on if I was THAT low on oil??? I check the fluids 3-4 times a week and never let them go down. How could I dump 4 quarts of oil and never see any signs of leakage, where is it going. The engine never showed any signs of problems either except for the temp light and that is a problem I have no idea on, replaced the coolant, therm (185 degree therm), heater core, radiator, water pump, everything to do with the cooling system has been changed and yet the light still pops on and off it don't stay on but just flash's. The check engine light was on but that's because the catalytic converter is not working properly :evillol: (it was a must, sounds so good with no resonator and a flowmaster 40 series), the a/c compressor siezed but I put a bypass pully in replacement. I love GM's for the life of me and the 3800 to me was one of the best 6 bangers out there but I prefer the 350 but that's another story. Does anyone have any idea's on how I could dump 4 quarts of oil any not see ANY signs of where it is going. Does the oil go to the tranny fluid like rear main seal wise what???? :banghead: please help, I don't wanna buy another car this year I went though 8 so far.

maxwedge
12-16-2006, 08:05 AM
First of all is the engine seized, no confirmation of that yet, secondly my 3800 as of late is using a quart every 1k, now that means if I ran it 3k it would be low of course, but the low oil lite if operational would come on. This is referring to my 98, not sure if the 94 has an oil level warning, none the less go see if the engine can be turned by hand off the crank bolt, then it i won't no matter what the reason, it's done.

HotZ28
12-16-2006, 09:22 AM
shouldn't the oil light on the dashboard come on if I was THAT low on oil???.
This is a very common misconception. Most “oil lights” on the dash are simply, pressure switches used to detect oil pressure, not oil level. That is why they are referred to as; “idiot lights”! Some cars come with both, “oil pressure” and “oil level” lights, as Max mentioned above. If you only have the “oil pressure” switch and the light comes on, it is usually too late to save the engine.:crying:

BTW: The quote below, would be a good one to add to your siginature;:rofl:
:banghead: please help, I don't wanna buy another car this year I went though 8 so far

Add your comment to this topic!