Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Got a couple of things.

Pettes4
12-14-2006, 07:26 PM
I got a 97 RS (420a) 5 speed, tranny is leaking a little. Think its a bad seal but will fix later.

My 1st question is how do I check to see if the tranny fluid is low? Where is the plug to fill it up at.(Pictures would help)

2nd thing is i pulled the spark plugs out and the cyclinder they sit in (not in the piston cyclinder) there was this shit brown oil(I think) well anyway would that be from someone spilling oil all over the valve cover and it sepping in or would it be a bad valve cover gasket?

3rd thing is when its idleing it makes a squeaking noise (well not really but thats the closet i can put it in words) then when i put the clucth in the noise stops.(I havent had a chance to drive it yet because i have no plates and no insurance on it yet cuz i just did t belt and water pump replacement).

Any info would help.Thanks.

Blackcrow64
12-14-2006, 07:55 PM
The squeek might be from the throwout bearing, it could be going bad or in need of grease.

To check the tranny fluid, there is a bolt on the front side of the tranny where you fill it. You take it out and put your finger in the hole and the fluid should be right to the bottom of the hole.

Talon69
12-14-2006, 08:40 PM
throw out bearing is bad. No doubt.

Also blackcrow covered the other questions perfect ;)

showstopperz
12-14-2006, 08:51 PM
I agree that the throwout bearing is bad. When mine went bad last month, my mechanic said it was the worst he had ever seen. It was oval in shape and turned blue from the heat also there was only about 3 of the little balls in the bearing left!!!

Pettes4
12-14-2006, 09:04 PM
LoL, ok thanks guys. Mine must be pretty bad too cuz its pretty loud.

Also about the oil or brown shit in the spark plug holes do u think its a bad gasket or that som1 spilt a shit load of oil all over it and left it sit for awhile.
Cuz there was some in each of the holes.

blk_srt
12-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Dont listen to them, its not your throw out bearing. If the noise goes away when you push the clutch pedel in its something else because the only time the throwout bearing it turning is when you have the clutch pushed it

gthompson97
12-14-2006, 09:31 PM
The oil fill hole is on the side of the tranny. You have to take off the wheel and splash guard. It's a little rubber plug towards the top of the side, the oil level should be at the very bottom of the hole. As for the brownish shit, it's most likely oil. Get the most of it out that you can, change plugs, and clean up the wires.

defiancy
12-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Not necessarily.

My throw out bearing on my cobra went bad and when I was driving around it used to sound like I had rocks rolling around in my transmission.

blk_srt
12-14-2006, 09:41 PM
your pilot bearing probably was out to then, unless your tob fell apart in the bell housing

defiancy
12-14-2006, 09:47 PM
It was pretty funny, but it's to be expected, I drove the piss out of the car.

Blackcrow64
12-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Dont listen to them, its not your throw out bearing. If the noise goes away when you push the clutch pedel in its something else because the only time the throwout bearing it turning is when you have the clutch pushed it
So your saying your 100% sure that its not the throwout bearing? I donno about you, but I am not saying that its 100% bad either. Hence why I said it "could" be going bad. At least its a start for him to check it. :2cents:

Mikelb
12-15-2006, 09:49 AM
if oil is getting into your spark plug wells, you should probably change out the valve cover gasket... the gasket comes as a set with the spark plug grommets, they have probably dried up and are leaking...

I also suggest using RTV sealant to hold them in place while putting the VC back on (from experience... that made it hard to sell the car)...

blk_srt
12-15-2006, 10:40 AM
So your saying your 100% sure that its not the throwout bearing? I donno about you, but I am not saying that its 100% bad either. Hence why I said it "could" be going bad. At least its a start for him to check it. :2cents:
Well here is my reasoning. If you imagine the clutch assembly while its on the car, when your foot is off the clutch your tob is just sitting there, not turning or anything just sitting in the fork. But when you push on the clutch thats when the bearing starts to turn and if it was the problem that is when it would make the noise. So since to me it seems like he is having the opisite problem its not the tob. If the noise happens all the time even while driving but goes away when you hit the clutch then its most likely the input shaft bearing on the transmission

Blackcrow64
12-15-2006, 06:22 PM
If the noise happens all the time even while driving but goes away when you hit the clutch then its most likely the input shaft bearing on the transmission
Inside of the tranny?

blk_srt
12-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Yes its the bearing that supports the input shaft

Mikelb
12-18-2006, 07:58 AM
+1, the input shaft bearing... the only time it doesn't turn is when the clutch is pushed in...

Add your comment to this topic!