Mild heat from 95 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.9L

dlbaugh
12-14-2006, 12:49 AM
This vehicle puts out warm air, but not enough to heat up the cab on a cold day. The engine thermometer will register 200. The fan is strong. The heater hoses are hot. I suspect a paritally clogged heater core as the problem. I do not look forward toward a heater core change and I was wondering: Has anyone has had luck restoring heat with a coolant system flush? Are any flush chemicals OK to use? Is there any real benefit from installing the heater hose insert to connect a garden hose to aid in flushing?

Thank you all for any advice.
Donny B

mojur
12-22-2006, 08:57 PM
This vehicle puts out warm air, but not enough to heat up the cab on a cold day. The engine thermometer will register 200. The fan is strong. The heater hoses are hot. I suspect a paritally clogged heater core as the problem. I do not look forward toward a heater core change and I was wondering: Has anyone has had luck restoring heat with a coolant system flush? Are any flush chemicals OK to use? Is there any real benefit from installing the heater hose insert to connect a garden hose to aid in flushing?

Thank you all for any advice.
Donny B
I have a 98 laramie quad with exact same problem. We changed thermostats-twice. We disconnected the A/C and the mechanic worked on the truck for three hours and could not increase the water temperture. The last straw he covered half of the radiator with cardboard and we are getting HEAT ! So much so that I can run highway on medium heat.
Another thing I found out about my quad...the rearend needed major work so I got them to install a high speed. Same power, only now I run 1400 RPM at 60 instead of 1800RPM...Mojur

fredjacksonsan
12-30-2006, 10:59 PM
On a '95, I'd suspect the heater core has some crap in it.

Try disconnecting the heater hoses, and run some water from your garden hose through the heater core in both directions. I'd bet you'll get some gunk coming out.

Add your comment to this topic!