Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'95 Jimmy Catalytic Converter

DrunkCanuck
12-13-2006, 03:17 PM
I have a '95 GMC Jimmy SLS 4.3L Vortec V6 Auto-Transmission, and I wanted to know if anyone has attempted to cut out the Cat. Converter and run either straight pipe of install a resonator instead? If so, did you have any problems at all?

Thanks.

ZL1power69
12-13-2006, 03:43 PM
welcome to AF.
there is already a current thread in this section on this topic;
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=628465

DrunkCanuck
12-13-2006, 06:03 PM
welcome to AF.
there is already a current thread in this section on this topic;
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=628465

Thanks for the link, and my apologies for not searching further....there is just so much content to get through. My searches didn't turn anything up.

Thanks again.

DC

thebeastjuggalo
12-14-2006, 01:01 AM
i have '95 jimmy SLE 4.3 vortec v6 and i cut out the cat and put in straight pipe and cheap $20 muffler and have it dumping out right behind passanger seat

it makes it have an awsome grumble to it and i have had no problems after making this mod

though it would not pass emmissions, but i live in mohave county in arizona where there is no smog controle laws :P

ZL1power69
12-14-2006, 08:59 PM
i have '95 jimmy SLE 4.3 vortec v6 and i cut out the cat and put in straight pipe and cheap $20 muffler and have it dumping out right behind passanger seat

it makes it have an awsome grumble to it and i have had no problems after making this mod

though it would not pass emmissions, but i live in mohave county in arizona where there is no smog controle laws :P
yea but it probably would not pass a state inspection and removing the converter is a federal offense that carries up to a $10,000 fine.

BlazerLT
12-15-2006, 01:52 PM

You can't just cut out on a cat and not to expect bad things to happen.

You have a post cat O2 sensor that will throw a code and screw up your sensor reading if you don't have a cat installed.

I know, I own a 1995 too and you can't just lop it off and things will be all perfect.

thebeastjuggalo
12-15-2006, 02:06 PM
You can't just cut out on a cat and not to expect bad things to happen.

You have a post cat O2 sensor that will throw a code and screw up your sensor reading if you don't have a cat installed.

I know, I own a 1995 too and you can't just lop it off and things will be all perfect.

well i have had absolutely no problems (other than its kinda hard to start when cold)

BlazerLT
12-15-2006, 03:07 PM
You have an O2 sensor before and after the cat. You CANNOT remove it without have a check engine light coming on. I have proven this myself with my own.

You will have a check engine light on seeing it will detect the cat not being there.

thebeastjuggalo
12-15-2006, 03:09 PM
i have no check engine light on just abs light (almost time for new brakes):sly:

BlazerLT
12-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Well them your check engine light is burnt out.

And your ABS light doesn't mean your brakes are worn out, you have a ABS problem and that is extremely dangerous and could lead to brake failure.

To boil this thread down, there is NO BENEFIT to removing a cat on a Blazer engine.

thebeastjuggalo
12-15-2006, 05:38 PM
my check engine light isnt out, i see it come on with all the other lights every time i start it....and your right i havnt noticed any real benifit from cutting it out, just alot better sound.

and to boil it down, all drunkcanuck wanted to no is if there is any problems with cutting it out, not if there was benifit.

p.s im not trying to argue or anything just giving my input.

ZL1power69
12-15-2006, 07:01 PM
To boil this thread down, there is NO BENEFIT to removing a cat on a Blazer engine.
:1: . removing the cat will hurt the trucks performance more than anything. the truck will probably not pass emissions with the cat off. The rear O2 sensor will set off a check engine light, and the truck will not pass a state inspection. As we have said before, removing the cat is a federal offense and you may be subject to a hefty fine (up to $10,000).
If the cat goes bad, then just replace it will a high flow universal one. it will be cheaper than a factory replacement and your truck will remain legal.

BlazerLT
12-15-2006, 09:09 PM
There is no benefit to doing it and I find anyone that does it to be irresponsible and selfish.

scitber666
12-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Cats suck throw it out, especially if its factory.

BlazerLT
12-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Cats suck throw it out, especially if its factory.

Spoken like a person that has no clue what he is talking about.

Just grow up.

BlazerLT
12-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Let me take some pictures of my truck , one that looks good atleast . cats suck . I just put my new y pipe on today. It has no cat, just a 3 inch pipe and 2 bungs for the O2 sensors were the cat went. Theres no check engine light coming on and it sounds 100 times better. Why would someone sell me a y pipe with a 3 inch pipe were the cat goes? Must be all these people and companys out ther selling x and y pipes without cats for some reason.

It is illlegal in any state for them to tamper with am emmissions device.

I bet you they wanted a cash deal.

They don't sell them because it is legit, they sell it because they are greedy and when it comes down to the fine you can't get them for it seeing they will deny they installed it.

Plus polluting for sound is just plain childish and is something along the line as you would see from some teenage ricer.

I have a high flow cat on mine and even at full throttle under load it has ZERO restriction. The muffler is more restrictive that the cat in either case.

It does nothing, it nets nothing, and it screws the environment and will effect your trucks economy and performance. The sensors are there for a reason and you are full of crap if you want to pawn off some bullshit that the computer will not note the O2 sensors are missing. I had mine unplugged for 5 minutes and the light came on.

scitber666
12-18-2006, 11:14 PM
It is illlegal in any state for them to tamper with am emmissions device.

I bet you they wanted a cash deal.

They don't sell them because it is legit, they sell it because they are greedy and when it comes down to the fine you can't get them for it seeing they will deny they installed it.

Plus polluting for sound is just plain childish and is something along the line as you would see from some teenage ricer.

I have a high flow cat on mine and even at full throttle under load it has ZERO restriction. The muffler is more restrictive that the cat in either case.

It does nothing, it nets nothing, and it screws the environment and will effect your trucks economy and performance. The sensors are there for a reason and you are full of crap if you want to pawn off some bullshit that the computer will not note the O2 sensors are missing. I had mine unplugged for 5 minutes and the light came on.Jegs ? But the O2 sensors are plugged in smart guy . Thats what the bungs in the pipe are for, to screw the sensors in. O yea i dont have a muffler either . Thats hollow. Makes great power tho. You should try it, might bring your truck away from that 80s look. Make it a little meaner. Maybe even spin a tire in the rain.

ZL1power69
12-18-2006, 11:21 PM
ok you two stop the flaming or i will be forced to close this thread.

BlazerLT
12-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Jegs ? But the O2 sensors are plugged in smart guy . Thats what the bungs in the pipe are for, to screw the sensors in. O yea i dont have a muffler either . Thats hollow. Makes great power tho. You should try it, might bring your truck away from that 80s look. Make it a little meaner. Maybe even spin a tire in the rain.

Yea, that is what I will do.

I will do meaningless mods so my truck will sound like a raspy junk box. Must be nice to rev it up and allow it to pop and carry on before it comes back to idle.

Post a clip of your powerful modded beast so we can all hear all of those rampaging horses you have unleashed onto the road.

God I am so sick of childish ricers posting meaningless mods.

scitber666
12-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Yea, that is what I will do.

I will do meaningless mods so my truck will sound like a raspy junk box. Must be nice to rev it up and allow it to pop and carry on before it comes back to idle.

Post a clip of your powerful modded beast so we can all hear all of those rampaging hourses you have unleashed onto the road. were did u get the headlight covers ? Arent those illegal?

BlazerLT
12-18-2006, 11:26 PM
were did u get the headlight covers ? Arent those illegal?

Nope, not in the daytime.

You see, they are removable at night so I can drive in the dark and see what is in front of me.

scitber666
12-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Nope, not in the daytime.

You see, they are removable at night so I can drive in the dark and see what is in front of me.wow really they look really cool. Im going to get some when i get my new cat and muffler.

BlazerLT
12-18-2006, 11:34 PM
wow really they look really cool. Im going to get some when i get my new cat and muffler.

Like, you, like, do that and your farting blazer will be so SIIIIIIICK!

You might want to get the performance chip for your air intake sensor and then get a turbonator and splitfire plugs and run super duper 20w50 race oil for that unleashed 150hp beast you got under your right foot there.

Oh, and for sure get some altezzas. They are da shiznit and all the 14 year old hoes with want to ride in your super siiiick farting 4.3L powered whip.

ZL1power69
12-19-2006, 12:12 AM
ok to wrap this up:
- removing the cat is a :nono: . the truck will most likely perform worse with it off. You will also pollute more and if you get caught (say during a state inspection or emissions test) after removing it, you may be subject to a hefty fine.
- the proper, legal, and more responsible way to increase performance would be to install a universal, high flow cat (catco, magnaflow, random technologies, etc...) which can be purchased for as little as $50.
Thread closed.

Add your comment to this topic!