Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electric questions

lesabrefan
12-13-2006, 11:02 AM
I have an '01, Custom. When I'm idle and the window is fully closed and I press the roll-up button a little more or the window is fully open and I press the roll-down button a little more, the whole car starts to shake, feels like the electric system is over-working (don't know how else to call it), when I'm in gear everything works fine. I know the obvious answer is not to try to open an already open window or vice versa, but I'm affraid it's something serious, thanks in advance.

imidazol97
12-13-2006, 01:32 PM
I have an '01, Custom. When I'm idle and the window is fully closed and I press the roll-up button a little more or the window is fully open and I press the roll-down button a little more, the whole car starts to shake, feels like the electric system is over-working .

I think it's just the extra load of the window motor drawing on the battery and the alternator starts working harder to keep the voltage up due to the high draw. The extra load on the alternator slows down the motor and causing a vibration that transmits to the body of the car. I've notice this on my 03. I just don't push the window button when the motor's completely down.

You may be able to see the effect of the high current load if you have a DIC which reads out the voltage in tenths.

The high draw can't be good for the motors either. I don't want to burn one out.

lesabrefan
12-14-2006, 01:17 PM
So it's nothing horrible, I guess, I just won't overpower the motor, thanks for your help.

Bassasasin
12-14-2006, 04:46 PM
I would check to see if you Idling at the proper speed.
If your Idle is low then you may see this happen. You might try a bit of a tune up and replace the air filter.

Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!