reserve fuel light

truomega
12-12-2006, 01:38 PM
~ How much fuel/miles to the gallon do i have once the gas light shows up on the dash? The light comes up a little before it reaches the red part on the guage. this is for a v6 95 taurus. Thanx in advance

shorod
12-12-2006, 01:57 PM
My recall is that the low fuel light triggers when the fuel level is around 12% remaining. This is not effected by miles to the gallon, only on remaining fuel level.

On systems with the fuel computers with Distance To Empty (DTE) modules, the low fuel warning is triggered when the computer calculates there is 50 miles of range remaining.

-Rod

truomega
12-12-2006, 02:09 PM
My recall is that the low fuel light triggers when the fuel level is around 12% remaining. This is not effected by miles to the gallon, only on remaining fuel level.

On systems with the fuel computers with Distance To Empty (DTE) modules, the low fuel warning is triggered when the computer calculates there is 50 miles of range remaining.

-Rod

Great... thanx for th einfo. Now i know i dont have to freak out when the light comes on and rush to the leach (AKA gas) station. Thanx again for the heads up.

Millermagic
12-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Well, everytime you run your tank that low you are shortening the life of the fuel pump. But yeah, it comes on with 2-3 gallons to bone dry.

mwt878991
12-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Well, everytime you run your tank that low you are shortening the life of the fuel pump. But yeah, it comes on with 2-3 gallons to bone dry.

This is true. The fuel acts as the cooling system for the fuel pump.

The heat generated from the fuel pump is absorbed by the fuel in the tank.

Another thing you might consider is changing your fuel filter more often if you run the tank low on a regular basis.

Mike
:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!