92 blazer s10 4x4 4.3 vortec starter replacement

mybigredford
12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
my starter went out in my 92 chevy blazer s10 4x4 with 4.3 vortec, i dont have a llot of tools and time, the mechanics 3 different ones priced me around 300.00 dollars to replace and install a new starter, is this something i can do on my own in my buddies garage or should i take it in. ?

JaVeRo
12-12-2006, 12:29 PM
I had a 91 S10 4wd truck that the starter went out on years ago. I couldn't get the starter out, it was loose and unhooked, just wouldn't come out so I took it to the dealer. They had to cut out part of the frame to remove the starter. It wasn't anything that would weaken the frame and I don't remember what part it was.

If it has had the starter replaced before then your may already be cut. Just unhooking the wires and unbolting the starter was not the problem.

James

mybigredford
12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
thanks i will check for a cut or any modification tommorow.

JaVeRo
12-12-2006, 04:13 PM
My cousin still has that truck and it's only about 5 miles away. If necessary I can take a picture of the area ground off.

James

Macgyver007
12-13-2006, 10:22 AM
The starter on teh 92 blazer needs to have the right engine mount disconnected and jack the motor to make enougth clearence to get the starter out. Still not a huge job, sounds much worse than it is.

mybigredford
12-13-2006, 10:38 AM
i spoke with the ex owner he said he had to jack the motor up as well, i will have to take it in. thanks for the good addvice though.

Macgyver007
12-13-2006, 11:59 AM
its seriously not difficult to do, no harder than unbolting the starter, just once you get it in the air, use a jack and a piece of 2X4 to protect the basepan, support the engine, let go of the mount on the passenger side and jack it up about an inch. Don;t have to worry about stretching harnesses or anything, Advice tho to disconnect the crank sensor, it will give you enought clearence in the harness to pull the starter free and disconnect the electrial without having to be a contortionest :-)

Add your comment to this topic!