Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Dodge Ram not starting intermittently cold or wet days

CrissCross
12-12-2006, 06:34 AM
Hello everyone.

I have a 99 Dodge Ram pickup and everyonce and a while it will not start in the mornings. I am just taking a guess but on the mornings that it is hard to start is when it is wet or moist out side. the truck turns over just fine just never first and starts running. Some times it will putter like it is trying to start. Almost like it is starving for fuel. Sometimes it will eventualy start and when it does I dont have any problems out of it the rest of the day.

Any one have any ideas? Any help would be great.
Thanks,

HEMIDAZE
12-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Most likely distributer cap and/or spark plug wires. After it warms up it drys out and no more problems for the rest of the day.

CrissCross
12-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks HEMIDAZE,

I will look into replaceing these parts. What do you think the probability is that it is these parts vs fuel pump or o2 sensor?

sweetness88olds
12-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Weren't all vehicals distruterless after 97? I thought they were, but maybe I'm wrong. If it does have a distributer, then Hemidaze is right, check for a crack in it. If there is a crack then it could have moister in it and that would cause it to run crappy.

wafrederick
12-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Sounds like the plugwires.I have a tip,stay away from cheap plug wires and all I hear are problems with them,ones from AutoZone and Advanced.Basically stay away from AutoZone and Advanced for plug wires.I know Carquest sells high quality wires without any come backs.Do one plugwire at a time when replacing them.

HEMIDAZE
12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I've been out of the mechanic'n business for a couple of decades so I'm not sure when they stoped using distributers. If it aint got one, go for the wires. I had a 289 comet once that had a cracked cap. I didn't have time to mess with it so I sprayed it with starter fluid every night when I got off second shift so it would get me home. One night the distributer went up in flames. I found the time to fix it that day.

crazys182003
12-13-2006, 08:49 PM
just a weird question here but is your truck an auto tranny or a manual tranny?

Add your comment to this topic!