Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

looking for some general info

erronisme
12-10-2006, 08:08 PM
hello sunbirdies!

I am trying to figure out some things....

I have a 94 2.0L 5-speed with 204k miles on it

I had to put a new head on it because the previous owner drove it around in 105*f heat. And here is my theory on that, the e-fan was not working and it overheated, thus cracking the head.

After putting it all together I found out that the oil temp/sending unit had gotten hot enough to melt the insides, giving me an oil leak. No prob, swaped that out.

Replaced the CTS because it was so corroded that it litterly fell apart when I tried to take off the wire clip.

The fan was/is another story. I had no power to the fan, but the relay had both the remote power and power on the fan side. I tested the relay, guess what....it was ok!.... kind of baffleing to have power where it should be on the wireharness but its not going past the relay.
Make a long story short.... the power wire (i belive it runs to the pos side on the starter) has major corrosion inside of it.

So Ive rigged the fan to work with the engine on at all times..... until I have time to get to it.

I also noticed that on the dash there is not a warning light when the engine gets hot. Using my scanner I could tell that the temp guage is somewhat off.

MY QUESTION..FOR THOSE WHO DONT WANT TO READ ALL OF THAT...

The oil light is comming on after a 10-15 mile drive.

Could it be that the engine is getting hot, because I noticed at 210* (using the scanner to see if the fan would kick on) the oil light came on.

Im thinking it could be one of these two problems or a combination the two.... the engine is overheating or the bearings are worn out and need replaced.

The previous owner said that the oil light had not come on prior to all of this.

erronisme
12-11-2006, 08:27 PM
BTW the pos wire that runs from the relay to the pos on the starter is a fuseable link

GTP Dad
12-12-2006, 06:44 AM
I would have to say you have a bearing issue. It appears that the engine has served its usefulness and probably needs to be replaced. I realize that you have put a lot of time and effort into that one but if you are losing oil pressure there isn't much you can do but replace bearings or the pump. Also one thing you can try is a heavier weight oil. A 10w40 vs a 5w30 will increase the pressure slightly but it may not help. The new engines don't like the heavier oil but with your mileage it may be worth a try.

erronisme
12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Hey thanks for the response.... i was starting to give up hope

The car actually belongs to a friend and was just helping him out.
Him and his wife have 4 or 5 teenagers, so money is/was an issue.
Thats why I did it as a favor for them.
I had told him the same thing.... its time to either replace it or rebuild it.

After buying the rebuilt head, sensors, gaskets and what not's he was strapped for cash.

What I was told is that the oil light is only comming on when he comes to a stop, and goes off when he starts going again.

That leads me to belive that its the thrust bearing and or main/ rod bearings.

Ive got 10-30 in it right now.

Add your comment to this topic!