Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help getting rid of...

dsmtuner1987
12-10-2006, 02:20 PM
ok i have an 88 gmc s15. if you own one, you know about that groove-like body line that goes around the entire vehicle. i need some advice on molding that smooth...

working it
12-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm sure there's guys here who are going to give you much better advice than I can, but I can tell you that fiberglass isn't the best way to get rid of that groove. I think you would be much better off cutting out that strip and fabricating some patch strips out of sheet metal. Then weld them in. I've also reciently seen a new adhesive that's specifically designed for holding patch pannels. If I'm right it was POR-15 epoxy.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but hope I gave you some useful ideas. Good luck.

TheSilentChamber
12-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah best way is to weld it up with a filler panel over the body line. I have seen alot done that were just filled with body filler, some were ok and some had problems. I dont recomend using filler.

working it
12-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I've seen it done with body filler too. It may look good for a while, but after time it heats up and cools down and eventually cracks due to it's loss of elasticity/flexability. Body filler is only good if it's applied as a thin layer to hide any wrinkles dings or defects in sheet metal (like old hot rods, custom motorcycle tanks and skins, and over areas where welds were ground down and aren't quite perfect).

dsmtuner1987
12-13-2006, 10:20 AM
ive seen it done with body filler too. i wasnt planning on doing it that way anyway, but weld over or into?

Add your comment to this topic!