Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bad wheel bearing or CV joint?

kaspr
12-10-2006, 02:30 AM
I have a '95 PAU - within the last week there started a screeching/squeaking noise coming from the left front wheel area, which is getting worse pretty rapidly. I know it's not brake-related (it's not the pad wear indicator, and the caliper is not locking up). I am pretty positive it's either the wheel bearing or CV joint/axle. The only thing is when wheel bearings have gone bad on me, it's always been a grinding sound, not a squeaking high-pitched sound. And there is no clicking sound when making a tight turn, which is the common symptom of bad CV joints. The sound I'm referring to does come and go, and sometimes it's louder than other times. When you move the steering wheel a little, the sound will either change or go away temporarily. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks!

Alibi
12-10-2006, 10:15 PM
I don't think its a CV axle going south as you said it doesn't clack on turns. And since you've already ruled out the brake squealer, I would suspect the bearing.

Try jacking up that side of the car and spinning the tire to see if it feels smooth or not.

jeepmeister
12-19-2006, 05:32 PM
I have a '95 PAU - within the last week there started a screeching/squeaking noise coming from the left front wheel area, which is getting worse pretty rapidly. I know it's not brake-related (it's not the pad wear indicator, and the caliper is not locking up). I am pretty positive it's either the wheel bearing or CV joint/axle. The only thing is when wheel bearings have gone bad on me, it's always been a grinding sound, not a squeaking high-pitched sound. And there is no clicking sound when making a tight turn, which is the common symptom of bad CV joints. The sound I'm referring to does come and go, and sometimes it's louder than other times. When you move the steering wheel a little, the sound will either change or go away temporarily. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks!I found on my 2000 PA that it was a wheel bearing. Jacking the car up and turning the wheel didn't work, as there was no noticeable noise or hesitation while turning. But grabbing the top and bottom of the tire and pulling and pushing at the same time it wobbled just a little. I replaced my wheel hub assembly and the noise I had went away.

kaspr
12-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Recently it's stopped making that squealing noise. But I did jack that wheel up, and shook the tire in and out, and sure enough, there's a wobble, and I confirmed that it's the wheel bearing (the ball joint and tie rod end aren't moving). So I'll replace the wheel bearing before it starts to get worse.

Thanks!

HondaManDan
12-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Squeals are bearing related 9 times out 10. I had a utility trailer blow wheel bearings under load. It was fine for the highway, but as soon as I started making turns the thing screamed... it almost sounded like brake squeal, however it was behind me and I was acelerating.

I get out to look, the cap blew off completly and all of the cylinder-sized bearings were gone the only thing holding on the wheel was the crown nut.

When I got back to my shop, as soon as I jacked the trailer up the wheel just fell off. Lol.

Good luck on replacement!

Dan

Add your comment to this topic!