Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 Wrangler w/ oil in air filter

dusty341
12-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Can anyone tell me why we have what appears to be oil in our air filter? How do we fix it?

89ltd
12-29-2006, 08:41 AM
is it a 4.0 ? I have the same problem with an 89 cherokee and solved it. Too many people told me it was "blow by" and other wierd stuff. I said it had good compression and there wasn't any smoke, they said replace the engine. I wrote a thread on how I fixed mine, may help you out, even if it is not 4.0L, its the same idea. Try this link,
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=432608&highlight=ccv+hose

MT-2500
12-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Can anyone tell me why we have what appears to be oil in our air filter? How do we fix it?

Engine and mileage and how much oil?
First check would be the PCV valve and engine breathing system.

4x4grey88
12-29-2006, 09:56 PM
All 1987-90 vehicles covered by this guide are equipped with a PCV valve system in order to deal with crankcase emissions. The system consists of a Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve, a closed or open oil filler cap and hoses to connect this equipment.

When the engine is running, a small portion of the gases which are formed in the combustion chamber during engine operation, leak past the piston rings and enter the crankcase. Since these gases are under pressure, they tend to escape from the crankcase and enter the atmosphere. If these gases were allowed to remain in the crankcase for any length of time, they would contaminate the engine oil and cause sludge to build up. If the gases were allowed to escape into the atmosphere, they would pollute the air, as they contain unburned hydrocarbons. The crankcase emission control equipment recycles these gases back into the engine combustion chamber where they are burned.

While the engine is running, clean filtered air is drawn into the crankcase either directly through the oil filler cap, or through the carburetor air filter and then through a hose leading to the oil filler cap. As the air passes through the crankcase, it picks up the combustion gases and carries them out of the crankcase, up through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold. After they enter the intake manifold, they are drawn into the combustion chamber and burned.

The most critical component in the system is the PCV valve. This vacuum controlled valve regulates the amount of gases which are recycled into the combustion chamber. At low engine speeds, the valve is partially closed (by intake manifold vacuum acting against spring pressure which would otherwise open the valve), limiting the flow of gases into the intake manifold. As engine speed increases (and manifold vacuum decreases), the valve opens (from spring pressure) to admit greater quantities of crankcase gases into the intake manifold. If the valve should become blocked or plugged, the gases will be prevented from escaping from the crankcases by the normal route. Since these gases are under pressure, they will find their own way out of the crankcase. This alternate route is usually a weak oil seal or gasket in the engine. As the gas escapes by the gasket, it also creates an oil leak. Besides causing oil leaks, a clogged PCV valve also allows these gases to remain in the crankcase for an extended period of time, promoting the formation of sludge in the engine.

Change the PCV.

Information From AutoZone Website.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1f/e7/2d/0900823d801fe72d.jsp

Add your comment to this topic!