Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

headlight tint question

car_guy_88
12-09-2006, 12:59 AM
ok, i've done all the looking around i can..and i just cant seem to come up with an answer....do the headlight blackout covers (such as ones from Lund and similar brands) affect the headlight brightness at night. I do a lot of night driving, but i would like to blackout the headlights and taillights of my black GMC Jimmy. If anyone has any experience with these...i'd like to know what you thought of them...thanx

kcg795
12-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Common sense says YES. Any type of tinting WILL block out some of the light. Even if you get those bulbs that are tinted "blue" to make your halogens look like you have HIDs. Yes, it WILL reduce the light output.

car_guy_88
12-10-2006, 08:52 PM
yea i know, thats what my common sense told me too, BUT i wasnt sure if they had some kind of technology that enabled light to pass through unaffected. I guess i could just buy a pair and test them out, whats the worst that could happen, might just have to take them off before night driving. It looks like they just snap on anyway.

kcg795
12-10-2006, 11:49 PM
I see quite a few newer cars that seem to have slightly smoked headlights from the factory. I guess the headlight output is decent. If it was me, I'd use a higher wattage bulb to compensate.

car_guy_88
12-11-2006, 12:02 AM
yea i have a 1996 GMC....so the headlight isnt tinted at all, so i think the headlight covers shouldnt affect it to much, maybe im wrong, maybe im right, who knows....anyway, thanks for all your help...ive gotta much better idea of what to expect now

sickcallawayc12
12-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Check with the local authorities also as it is illegal in some states to drive at night with headlight covers on. Black out the taillights for sure and invest in some LED bulbs to compensate for that.

89-325i
08-19-2007, 09:46 AM
okay. this is what i would do. i would get some super high output show car bulbs. like 120w and they'll shine right though the headlights. you can see through the tent on the taillights.

'97ventureowner
08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
No use wasting my breath on you since I banned you earlier today for another reason, but for others, please do not bring up old threads.
Closed.

Add your comment to this topic!