Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

code P0446,P0171 P0174

amacatula
12-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Does anyone had a problem with this code. I run my diagnostic OBD2 and those code appear. P0446 is for EVAP SYSTEM DIAGNOSTIC. PO171 is for BANK 1 TOO LEAN something... This is what my CAR experiencing now...... My RAV4 hesitate everytime I fill up some gas. You have to crank the gas to keep the engine running or else it will die. I have to do that at least 1 minute and hesitation will be gone. It happens each timesI fill up my gas now. But car runs okay and start okay afterwards. Problem happens only when filling up the gas. I reset the engine light and it always come back. I even clean the MAF sensor and changed the air filter. Any ideas?

RIP
12-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Seem to remember a few posts on the Camry forum about this. If you top off your tank ie, cram more gas in after the gas handle clicks off, the excess fuel makes it's way to the evap canister and saturates it with fuel. Don't recal if this was a design flaw or a malfunction. If you are topping off don't. See what happens. If you are not topping off try leaving it a couple gallons short of full and see what happens. In the end you may need to replace your evap canister.

Read all the way through this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=248149&highlight=evap+canister+camry

amacatula
12-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I did that already just putting some gallons on it, but still didnt work. Yesterday the other options i did while I was in NJ while someone putting gas on it, i crank the engine trying not to let it died but still didnt work and smell something like burning. But I still able to start though but had a hard time like it used to be. But again after that first start from refueling... everything back to normal. You said evap canister is that expensive? And the things that make me think it is weird is why.. only each time i put gas and only the first start makes the problem..the rest will be okay until i put the gas again... I was reading one article telling me it could be on EFI relay. Because they said to test it if you set your ingintion key into on position normally you would hear a sound coming from fuel pump in about 2 seconds. I dont hear that sound.. compare to my other car. But again if that is the problem it should be consistent right not only everytime your putting gas.
Seem to remember a few posts on the Camry forum about this. If you top off your tank ie, cram more gas in after the gas handle clicks off, the excess fuel makes it's way to the evap canister and saturates it with fuel. Don't recal if this was a design flaw or a malfunction. If you are topping off don't. See what happens. If you are not topping off try leaving it a couple gallons short of full and see what happens. In the end you may need to replace your evap canister.

Read all the way through this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=248149&highlight=evap+canister+camry

Add your comment to this topic!