Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

timing belt question

jyguy915
12-08-2006, 02:07 AM
hi.. i have a 1995.5 honda passport with only 104k in it.. its a 3.2 v6 and im about to change the timing belt for the first time, so i am trying to get a few pointers to make this job easier.. i did a search and found a lot of good information but need to clearify some questions i have. first.. i am wondering if someone can try to give me a visual discription on how to use the bumper method to get the pulley bolt off. Standing in front of the car.. do i place the breaker bar under the driver side frame or passenger side? is it under the frame or on top of the frame? second.. i am replacing my belt, t-belt tension adjuster and waterpump. should i replace the timing idler and timing belt tensioner. the timing belt tensioner is different from the adjuster.. This is the tensioner bearing and bracket. thank for all in advance for any help..

redbug
12-08-2006, 05:35 AM
Hello,

I have had some experience with the belt replacement. I went three changes, each at 60k intervals without changing the pulleys or the tensioner. I would recommend the tensioner for sure. Pulleys, well, they have been on the car for a long period of time......

I never did the starter method for breaking the bolt but I wish I had known about it... All bolts loosen counter clockwise (Unless they are left handed thread) In this case it is normal right handed thread. Looking in at the engine from the front bumper the engine will turn clockwise if you click the starter. So, the wrench should be placed on the drivers side of the frame.

I would pull the plug wires out of the head or off the coil just to be sure it does not start. I would also just click the starter a little bit with the key when you do go to loosen. I would also take the slack out of the wrench by turning the engine until the wrench is snug on the frame, you don't want it whipping around. If you have a stick shift put it in gear and nudge the car forward slowly until the slack is out. Or, you may be able to snug it up by turning the pulley by hand. I think I would put a board or some sort of barrier between the wrench and the radiator just in case it slips off under pressure and jumps into the radiator.

Add your comment to this topic!