Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Covering chip in paint

DaGrease
12-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Heya

One morning i realized I had locked my keys in my car. I called BCAA (AAA) and they sent a tow truck. the guy came and used a shim to open the door. After he left i noticed that he put a very small chip in the paint, which I thought was only down to the primer, so I didn't think to touch it up. This was 2 weeks ago and it has since snowed and rained. It has started to rust a little. So i was wondering if it would be bad to cover up the rust with touch up paint to protect from further rust.

What should I do?!?!

sdsniper
12-22-2006, 04:01 AM
Heya

One morning i realized I had locked my keys in my car. I called BCAA (AAA) and they sent a tow truck. the guy came and used a shim to open the door. After he left i noticed that he put a very small chip in the paint, which I thought was only down to the primer, so I didn't think to touch it up. This was 2 weeks ago and it has since snowed and rained. It has started to rust a little. So i was wondering if it would be bad to cover up the rust with touch up paint to protect from further rust.

What should I do?!?!

I think some stores sell some rust remover. Try dabbing that onto a Q-Tip and Find some touch up paint to match your color. :-)

Look this product up.--> Permatex Rust Treatment: RT8A 8 oz.

goldz28
12-22-2006, 04:36 AM
If you go to a dealership and give them your vin they can match the paint. About how to do the job I have no clue.

stepho
12-22-2006, 06:26 PM
I'd dab a little bit of ospho in there before painting, otherwise it will continue to rust under the paint. Not sure if it will effect the paint surround the area though...

CamaroRS92
12-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Use some #0000 steel wool (ultra fine) to remove the rust before touching up the paint.

Be sure to use some painters masking tape around the chip area to prevent scratching the paint around the area while using the steel wool.

light finger pressure will do the trick - dont get too agressive and break the primer coat if it hasn't already chipped away

viperh
12-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Here's what I would do. Treat it like a rock chip.
Supplies
Rubber cement
Pencils with erasers
2000 grit sand paper
touch up paint
toothpick.

first use the hole punch and punch out some 2000 grit sand paper.
Next rubber cement the sand paper to the erasers of those pencils.
sand the rust spot.
continue untill all rust is done.
next dab the tooth pick in the paint and press down in the center of the spot.
Due to "Magic" the paint will spread and fill the chip.
Depending on how picky you are the touchup will leave a glop so you sand it down (wet sand) with 2000 grit sandpaper then polish it out with a buffer.

Thats what I would do.

nate

Add your comment to this topic!