Noisey Tires

rimfire,22
12-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Hello to all,

I just bought from Costco a new set of Michlin tires that are the noiseyest I've ever had in my life.:banghead: All four wheels received an alignment so what more can I do? Any recommendation or fixes that you can point me towards are greatly appreciated. Happy holidays everyone.

rimfire,22

popeye08
12-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Did you check the pressure? Lower pressure should help to reduce the noise.

Hello to all,

I just bought from Costco a new set of Michlin tires that are the noiseyest I've ever had in my life.:banghead: All four wheels received an alignment so what more can I do? Any recommendation or fixes that you can point me towards are greatly appreciated. Happy holidays everyone.

rimfire,22

rimfire,22
12-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Did you check the pressure? Lower pressure should help to reduce the noise.

popeye08,

I'll certainly try that. How much pounds do you suggest I try? I usually keep mine at 31 lbs. I'm not sure what Toyota recommends anyway. I have an 89' Camry.

rimfire,22

RIP
12-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Nah! Try BF Goodrich. They make it sound like you're in a foundry. Got a hunch they'll be noisey whatever you do. Not much to do but try to sweet talk Costco into another set or live with it. It's surprising Michelins would do that. Which ones did you get?

Try a rotation. Maybe you got one thats just a shade off.

popeye08
12-07-2006, 11:30 PM
31lbs is fine.

popeye08,

I'll certainly try that. How much pounds do you suggest I try? I usually keep mine at 31 lbs. I'm not sure what Toyota recommends anyway. I have an 89' Camry.

rimfire,22

rimfire,22
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
RIP,

I have Michelin "X" radials 185-70 X 14

Regardless of the type I'm just gonna leave it as is. These were bought on sale and for a set of tires rated for 80K and only cost $300 bucks I couldn't pass it up. Now I know why.

popeye,

Thanks for your posting I'm not gonna lower the ounds then cuz I don't want to lose any MPG.

rimfire,22

DFBonnett
12-08-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm not familiar with the "X" but I will note that typically noise correlates directly with the aggressiveness of the tread pattern. You might be trading a little quiet for better wet pavement handling.
FWIW
YMMV

Scrapper
12-08-2006, 12:57 PM
yah my dads does it too and it's got michelin on his park avenue and they sing too is what i call it..been doing it for 4 years now i think..but michelin are the best tires made in my book..but the type you got probably will sing too as long as you got them on the car....

RIP
12-08-2006, 04:10 PM
It's a shame to spend that kind of money on something and not be happy. Try explaining the situation to the manager at the Costco tire center. You might get a pleasant surprise. Besides, at the worse, they won't take your first born, they'll just say sorry but no.

JOET/CAMRY
12-08-2006, 06:49 PM
It's a shame to spend that kind of money on something and not be happy. Try explaining the situation to the manager at the Costco tire center. You might get a pleasant surprise. Besides, at the worse, they won't take your first born, they'll just say sorry but no.

I just bought a set of lexington all season tires (185/70/14 ) at Town fair tire for my 1989 camry. the purchase of two or more tires includes a free front end alignment which my car badly needed. the tires are supposed to be made by Cooper from what I was told by an employee. the tread is fairly aggressive but yet they seem quiet. The total came to $93.00 even.:thumbsup: not too bad considering a front end alignment where I live is at least $59.95 and up. here is a breakdown of the cost....

2 Lexington-A/S 185/70/14 tires.................$ 58.00
computer balancing..................................$ 21.90
2 valve stems.........................................$ 5.90
2 tires disposal.......................................$ 4.00
tax............................................... ........$ 3.20
TOTAL............................................. ....$ 93.00

they wanted to do a 4 wheel alignment on my car for a cost of approx. $59.99. :mad: I told them my car was 17 years old and I felt it wasn't needed. I drove my car down the highway after the new tires were installed and let go of the steering wheel and the car stayed strait as an arrow.:tongue: what do you know!! they also had a extra warranty for about $5.95 per tire which I didn't go for. they tried to nickel and dime me to death. :wtf:

I will keep everyone posted on how the tires do in the long run if I remember. they should be fine. I drive my car easy. I don't slam on the brakes, peel out:cool: or go around corners so fast the tires squeal.:eek: if this car breaks down guess who has to pay for the parts if needed and repair it .....Me :banghead:

Regards,
JOET/CAMRY

rimfire,22
12-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Hello to all,

Thank you ALL for your quick postings!! In my mind I'm just glad I have a good set of tires that'll last for a good while despite the tires sing really bad. I mean bad. I can just mentally shut it out. I just thought it would be a quick fix. Again thank you all.

rimfire,22:grinyes:

KimMG
12-09-2006, 02:18 AM
There should be a sticker either on the inside of the glove box door or in the driver's door jamb for the reccommended tire pressure.

jdv45
12-09-2006, 10:44 AM
I had Michelin "X" before, they do seem little noisey, I wonder why.

DFBonnett
12-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Saw a Michelin tire on www.tirerack.com called X-Ice. Tread looked pretty aggressive. Any chance you got those?

Mike Gerber
12-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Why not call Michelin direct and discuss your situation with them. Follow the prompts to speak to someone in customer service. They can tell you whether the tires you bought are generally noisey. If they say no, then you can go back to Costco and discuss the situation with them, referencing your call to Michelin.

Mike

Scrapper
12-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Why not call Michelin direct and discuss your situation with them. Follow the prompts to speak to someone in customer service. They can tell you whether the tires you bought are generally noisey. If they say no, then you can go back to Costco and discuss the situation with them, referencing your call to Michelin.

Mike

Mike

oh really..u think that mite be smart??????

rimfire,22
12-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Saw a Michelin tire on www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) called X-Ice. Tread looked pretty aggressive. Any chance you got those?

DFBonnett,

I'm pretty sure these are NOT winter tires.:screwy:

rimfire,22

DFBonnett
12-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Rimfire,
I don't understand the emoticon, but it was not my intention to offend by offering suggestions which you might consider simplistic. I believe in considering the basics first; and, in this case, it would be the design of the tire.

rimfire,22
12-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Rimfire,
I don't understand the emoticon, but it was not my intention to offend by offering suggestions which you might consider simplistic. I believe in considering the basics first; and, in this case, it would be the design of the tire.

DFBonnett,

No offense taken at all!!! :-) I can't understand why this issue is getting outta control? I bought some noisey tires and just wondered if their was an easy fix. What you said can be true. Design of the tread of the tire is what's causing the noise so that should be the end of it. Now I know why I bought a good set of 80K tires for $300 bucks.
No problem. That the way it goes.

Be strong and have a happy holiday to all,

rimfire,22

Add your comment to this topic!