Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stutter when acclerating hard.

Xeiros
12-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi guys.

I'm trying to figure out a problem I've got with my car right now. If I have to accelerate hard for any reason, my car will stutter for a few seconds, and start going. It's usually as the turbo starts to spool. I'm going to change the fuel filter and spark plugs anyways, but besides those, what do you think it could be? Could it be something wrong with the turbo itself?

I've got a 95 Eclipse GS-T.

Thanks.

l_eclipse_l
12-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Do a boost leak test. If you don't know how or what that is, do a search you will find instructions easily. Also make sure you gap your plugs to .028".

Blackcrow64
12-06-2006, 12:18 PM
If it were a boost leak his problem would worsen as it built more pressure, not get better... I have my money on a spark issue or fuel issue. Change your plugs, wires, fuel filter, and give the air filter a check just for good measure as well.

Do you have anything done to the car or is it pretty much stock?

Xeiros
12-06-2006, 01:16 PM
As far as I know, it's completely stock. I just purchased it within the last month, and I believe the previous owner was the only owner, and from the sounds of it, they weren't much of a tuner.

TalonEclipseMixGsx
12-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Does it run fine at idle? Do u have a check engine light? The only time when my car stuttered like that is when i forgot to plug back in the MAF sensor after doing some work. Good idea to do all the new filters plugs and wires after buying it just so u start out fresh.

Xeiros
12-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I don't put it to chance and run on old parts that are cheap to replace. I like to be safe.

I don't have a check engine light on, and it idles fine as far as I'm concerned. I did notice it would idle around 600-800 RPMS which I thought might be a bit low, but I'm used to my GM's that idle around 900-1000. It doesn't struggle to stay on or anything.

gthompson97
12-06-2006, 08:22 PM
What brand and number of plugs did you put in?

l_eclipse_l
12-07-2006, 12:25 AM
If it were a boost leak his problem would worsen as it built more pressure, not get better... I have my money on a spark issue or fuel issue. Change your plugs, wires, fuel filter, and give the air filter a check just for good measure as well.

Do you have anything done to the car or is it pretty much stock?

True, but I would bet he would find one or two anyway. :)

Xeiros
12-08-2006, 09:38 AM
It might be a boost leak after all. I checked the plugs and wires, and they look good. I'm still going to replace the plugs, but the wires look almost brand new, so they were likely replaced very recently. I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet, but thats my next step.

I messed with it again yesterday, and first and second gear didnt have the problem, but going into third, when boost hit, it stuttered good, and it kept doing it till I let off, though not as bad as when boost intially starts hitting. It did it in fourth and fifth as well.

I just ran my tank dry, put some techron fuel system cleaner in, and put some 93 octane fuel in there, as I suspect the dealship likely put some crap fuel in there to begin with.

I'm really hoping this isn't a major mechanical problem. :(

Thor06
12-08-2006, 10:08 AM
I cant imagine stuttering on acceleration to be major man, I bet after you find the problem you will be done with it.

I bet the dealership put som fuckin 87 in there and it was running all shitty cause it was pulling timing out the ass to keep it from eating itself. Either that, or you have a decent sized boost leak or maybe a bad PCV valve? Do yourself a boost leak test and get a new PCV valve, fuel filter, plugs, and looks like you got some 93 in there so I bet once you get done with all that you will be good.

Blackcrow64
12-08-2006, 11:45 AM
It might be a boost leak after all. I checked the plugs and wires, and they look good. I'm still going to replace the plugs, but the wires look almost brand new, so they were likely replaced very recently.
Doesn't matter how new they look, they can still be bad. Example A: I'm on probably my 6th set of wires for the Firebird in the last 2 years. Why?: Because the heat from everything melts down the insulation thin enough in certain sections and then it actually arcs through the insulation to something. I also have a pair of brand new magnacor wires that I got from my friend that I was gonna put on my Talon. My brother went to use them and they were no good at all for some reason. So I still stand with my original solution here. lol

gthompson97
12-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Change the plugs, I bet that's your problem. I worked on a 95 gst that stuttered instantly when boost hit because he put in some platinum plugs and it ate them up right away. Go with some stock NGK's and maybe new wires and I bet your problem goes away.

Xeiros
12-08-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't doubt you at all black crow. I'm just starting to think there might be some boost leaks that aren't helping the situation any. And now that I see someone recommended I stay away from platinums, thats exactly what I'm NOT going to replace them with now, lol.

l_eclipse_l
12-08-2006, 05:06 PM
I don't doubt you at all black crow. I'm just starting to think there might be some boost leaks that aren't helping the situation any. And now that I see someone recommended I stay away from platinums, thats exactly what I'm NOT going to replace them with now, lol.

Turbo car + platinum plugs = problems

NGK BPR7ES I think is the exact model of plug you want to throw in the beast. Gap them to .028" and you will eliminate that as a possible problem source.

Blackcrow64
12-09-2006, 12:07 AM
NGK BPR7ES I think is the exact model of plug you want to throw in the beast. Gap them to .028" and you will eliminate that as a possible problem source.
:iagree:

If problems still persist after that, go for the wires then... :wink:

Xeiros
12-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Replaced the plugs, and the problem went away. Don't think they were platinums, but they were worn and in need of replacement. Boosts like a champ now! :D

Blackcrow64
12-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Hehe... +1 for me! :wink:

l_eclipse_l
12-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Replaced the plugs, and the problem went away. Don't think they were platinums, but they were worn and in need of replacement. Boosts like a champ now! :D

I would still do a boost leak test, I would put money on the fact that you find atleast one somewhere. Glad you got it running better though.

Xeiros
12-28-2006, 12:06 PM
I would still do a boost leak test, I would put money on the fact that you find atleast one somewhere. Glad you got it running better though.

I just did one, and did find one...or rather two. One was a broken vaccum line off what I believe was the EGR valve. The other is my damn BOV. I mean it leaks bad too. I had to hold my hand up against it HARD just to get 10LB's into the system before it came rushing back out.

Plugged the recirulation hole on the intake hose, started her up, and still felt a decent amount coming out. I just need to get a new one soon.

Add your comment to this topic!