Raw Gasoline Smell Thru Heater Vent

Glasact
12-06-2006, 07:11 AM
My daughters '02' Sportage has a strong smell of gas that seems to come through the heat vents. It is at its worst when it has been sitting overnight and is cold. It gets a little better after about 15 min. of warming up. It is not an exhaust fume smell or an antifreeze smell. Definately a RAW GAS Smell. Looking for a solution.

Thanks

Helixrider
12-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Rubber return line from fuel psi regulator to metal return line is leaking when cold.

The spring clamps do not stay tight when cold and when the rubber expands when hot it seals.

Remove the upper part of the intake and replace the spring clamps with screw type clamps.

had the same thing on both my Kia's. theres fuel fumes in that line or the fumes are from the tank. you only notice it in winter because the heater intake is just behind there. when you speed up the draft blows the accumulation away, but the heater gets some. In the warm weather the clamp holds tighter.

Glasact
12-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Thank you Helixrider for the quick response.:grinyes:

I did the hose clamp replacement this past weekend. It only took about an Hour and a Half. I replaced the hose as well as the clamps. It showed signs of deteration and had cracks in it. I like the repairs that don't cost a fortune to do. Not a trace of any gas smell now.

alewis
01-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I am experiencing the EXACT same thing in my 2002 Kia and I have been searching high and low for the cause. I even took it to a mechanic who said there was nothing wrong.

jpathab
01-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Rubber return line from fuel psi regulator to metal return line is leaking when cold.

The spring clamps do not stay tight when cold and when the rubber expands when hot it seals.

Remove the upper part of the intake and replace the spring clamps with screw type clamps.

had the same thing on both my Kia's. theres fuel fumes in that line or the fumes are from the tank. you only notice it in winter because the heater intake is just behind there. when you speed up the draft blows the accumulation away, but the heater gets some. In the warm weather the clamp holds tighter.I
I wish I found this site before I spent 200 dollars to get the same issue fix from the dealer.. They said the hose is dry rotten near the gas tank

john
I

Divorce Court Dan
01-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Any detailed instructions on the hose clamp procedure? I need to do it in my buddies Kia. Just wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of. Thanks

tmccall
03-10-2007, 04:53 PM
I have the same prob. with mine do you have any photos to help fix this prob. Plus mine also overheats when sitting still.

Helixrider
03-15-2007, 10:05 AM
it's pretty easy, take the 4 nuts that hold the plasic cover off, look to the passenger side of the engine, there are 2 tubes running along the top rail toward the front, with spring clamps. replace them with flat hose clamps, you can get at Lowe's or home Depot for 45 cents each.

as for the fellow that is overheating, check for codes. I bought an OBD 2 reader on eBay for under $35. it gives me the code readout. go to the read outs http://www.kia-forums.com/do-yourself/33370-all-kia-trouble-codes.html
then proceed. I would imagion there are three or four possibilities. 1. bad temperature sensor, 2. sticking thermostate,3. bad cooling fan thermocouple.
The last could be a bad head gasket or even something as simple as the rubber seal on the radiator cap. I just replaced a head gasket in one of my Sportages only to find a cracked head, when I had it magnafluxed while the head was off. I did find a supplier furthur down this list that had rebuilts for $350, but you need the code readout anyway. hope this is of help.

plato55416
11-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Can you remove the hose safely with out spilling gas?

LMP
11-27-2007, 07:56 PM
THoses hoses on the return side of regulator have no fuel pressure when engine not running, so chance of a spill is virtually inecistent.

deano426
09-08-2009, 01:43 PM
would anyone have a picture or diagram of where these hoses are? i cant find for the life of me where they are located? is it after the fuel filter?

Add your comment to this topic!