97 ram 1500 360 4x4

tuesd97
12-05-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm having transmissions troubles can u help. It just all the sudden stopped shifting. Was running 65mph slowed down and went to go again and tranny would not shift. I never had any signs of slippage or grinding. What should I do.

BleedDodge
12-06-2006, 12:33 PM
It might be just a sensor. Take it to a mechanic for diagnosis is what I would do. Trans problems can't usually be solved by the owner.

HEMIDAZE
12-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Most transmissions have what is commonly called a "limp home" mode. It kicks in whenever the transmission detects a problem. My 96 chev did it and would only go forward in 2nd gear. The dealer repaired it under warranty by replacing the ignition switch. Go figure.

BleedDodge
12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
No way?! That's pretty crazy.

tuesd97
12-07-2006, 03:37 PM
It might be just a sensor. Take it to a mechanic for diagnosis is what I would do. Trans problems can't usually be solved by the owner. we had sensors checked along with all linkages no problems there. Truck goes into gears easly just will not move when you give it gas. Is there a sight I can get onto that will give a tranny diagram. Thanks for all your help

silverado122775
12-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Do you feel the truck actually engage when you shift it from N to 1st then disengage when you put it back into N? Put it into 4wd H. Shift into 1st and press the gas to see if the front wheels pull you at should eliminate Transmission. Otherwise it could be your rear end

wafrederick
12-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Try changing the thermostat too,the transmission will not shift when the coolant tempature is not right.Had that happen to one and it was a bad thermostat.Here is another thing to check,the bottom transmission line towards the radatior and it is the rubber hose part.It is removable from the line.There is a nylon checkball inside that line and there is one thing to do to that checkball:get rid of it!You can drill it out or take a long #2 phillips screwdriver to tap it out.The problem is that it melts and will plug the line up resulting in a burned up transmission.

Add your comment to this topic!