Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 Jimmy SLT Tranny and general runnin' crappy

bocskeys
12-05-2006, 06:42 AM
I am in the process of pulling the tranny in my '96 SLT Jimmy. Just about got 'er out, (along with saying some choice words about the engineers who designed the frickin' thing!) but after 187,000+ miles, it was due to go out....and it did.

The reason I am writing is I noticed a few topics about running rough and the dreaded EGR valve. I have gone through 3 EGR valves in the 7 years I have owned the vehicle (I really do love that headache!). Every time I would get codes pulled, it would tell me the same thing.....EGR valve or O2 sensor (and once a Throttle Positioning Sensor - didn't do crap). I would replace both and get some results for a few months, but then it would start running rough again. I was told that I needed to check the fuel lines running to the injector - 'cause they tend to corrode a bit. I am curious if anyone has heard the same.

Also, as I took off the exhaust Y-pipe to get the tranny out, lo-and-behold, there is an upstream O2 sensor! HA! Never replaced THAT one.

Anyway, I am noticing all kinds of little things with my Jimmy that need to be fixed....but the one I really want to get a handle on is the O2/fuel mix....so any advice is much appreciated.

I also had an interesting thing happen a few months ago. In a nutshell......car died, replaced alternator, meter shows 14.1V at battery and 14.8V coming from alternator, but about 1/2 the time a drive it, the volt meter in the cab shows around 11V....the rest of the time it shows 13-14. Any thoughts on THAT? :)

Thanks in advance for your input!

blazes9395
12-06-2006, 05:50 PM
I was told that I needed to check the fuel lines running to the injector - 'cause they tend to corrode a bit. I am curious if anyone has heard the same.

Also, as I took off the exhaust Y-pipe to get the tranny out, lo-and-behold, there is an upstream O2 sensor! HA! Never replaced THAT one.

Anyway, I am noticing all kinds of little things with my Jimmy that need to be fixed....but the one I really want to get a handle on is the O2/fuel mix....so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Well, if this 02 sensor hasn't been replaced, and you were getting codes relating to this senor, replace it (don't forget to check the wiring harness leading to the sensor and make sure thats good to, and hasn't been rubbing on anything). The EGR getting clogged is becasue of carbon build-up, and a rich running vehicle will produce more carbon. For the '96-up, the fuel pressure regulator is a common problem, something worth taking a look at.

As for the voltage gauge, if eveything checks out with the charging system, and you are getting good voltage with a voltmeter, problem can be either withthe guage itself, or, the wiring leading to the guage.

For the transmission, if you need a good write-up, Blue Bowtie, has an extremely good how-to for these transmissions. It is very detailed, and has tons of good information to make these trannies last a long time after a rebuild. If you need it, send him a PM.

Sounds like your having a lot of fun with your truck.

Add your comment to this topic!