Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Code P1404

AntonioE
12-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Hi there, I'm a newcomer and recently owner of a '01 3.1L Pontiac Grand Prix. It has 118,500 miles on it, but it runs very well. About a month and a half ago when I got the car took it to my mechanic for a full tune up (new spark plugs, cables, oil change, fuel and air filters) and then took it to have it's radiator checked, had it flushed and filled with Prestone Antifreeze.

Since I got the car the light "Low Coolant" appeared, even before I had the radiator flushed, checking everything it goes with it, and nothing appeared to be wrong with it. On some ocassions the light went out, then it began to flash, then it stayed on, then went back off and so on.

I had the radiator and hoses checked again and nothing came up. Changed the radiator cap and still the same.

Now the P1404 code apeared, I got it scanned a few hours ago. I was browsing thru the forum and it seems that it is the EGR Valve, and that is what the Autozone guy told me. He handed me a ticket with the code and what it means : Circuit B Malfunction, Intake Air temperature/ EGR Temperature Sensor Circuit.

I also read that the EGR may be dirty, I want to check it out, even have a picture of a EGR, but where can I find it once I open the hood? I read on a thread that by tapping on it with a screwdriver handle might do the trick, I want to try it.

Or maybe the Low Coolant light is related to the EGR problem? So far I had no problems with the car temperature, never stopped running, actually drives like new, just this SES light worries me, any help is useful.

Thank you for your time!

richtazz
12-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Was the coolant low when the low coolant light came on? Make sure you check the level in the radiator, not the overflow bottle. The engine in your car is famous for eating intake gaskets, which causes the coolant to leak internally into the oil. Check for milky discoloration of the oil, or pudding like sludge deposits in the PCV valve and on the oil cap. These are telltale signs of an intake gasket issue. The EGR code is unrelated to the low coolant light. If the coolant level is fine, the coolant level sensor in the radiator may be faulty, causing the light to come on. The EGR code you're getting indicates a stuck valve. You may be able to clean it with carb cleaner to free it up. If that doesn't work, the EGR itself may have a bad solenoid in it and will need to be replaced.

AntonioE
12-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Thank you for responding richtazz. Actually when I had the spark plugs and wires changed, my mechanic asked me if I used a fuel additive, because he smelled something on the spark plugs, a chemical he said, but since it was the first tune up I made to the car, I didn't know. Would that smell be coolant leaking in the engine?

I'll look forward to do what you're telling me and let you know how it all turned out.

richtazz
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Did he mention any discoloration on the plugs, and if so, what color was it? Coolant will normally leave a pinkish orange tinge, and smells like maple syrup. If there is coolant residue on the plugs, you could have a leaking head gasket. On the 3.1, the coolant leak caused by the bad intake gasket will leak in to the oil, not into the combustion chamber. It's possible that the coolant thinned out the oil and it escaped past the piston rings, but if it's that diluted, you would have serious engine issues. A clogged or stuck shut EGR valve will lean out the fuel mixture, which can cause discoloration of the plugs (whitish deposits) due to the increase in cylinder temps. A rich fuel condition will leave black sooty deposits. If you use ethanol mixed fuel (common at Standard/BP stations), it will leave deposits also.

AntonioE
12-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks again. I'll check that out and tell you what happened. You've been of much help!

AntonioE
12-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi there, It's me again. I took my car to my mechanic and told me, as you, did, that the EGR valve is the one causing trouble and needs to be replaced. I searched for it in autozone, kragen and all of those, to see the price of it, and it's just above 100 dlls. I also searched on ebay and I have found two of them with this description:

You are bidding on a new GM- AC Delco EGR Valve. GM old part #17113284 Replaced by part #12578034. AC Delco Part #214-5067. And it's a new part, not used.

Does this one fits on my 01 3.1 Grand Prix? Is it safe to buy it there or should I pay more and get it from the dealership or one of the places I named before?

Thank you for your time!

RonReb
02-07-2007, 04:00 PM
That EGR valve probably is not the correct valve for your engine please check:http://www.autopartsgiant.com/CAT_FRAMEX.cfm
it looks like 214-1090 would be the correct part number.

I have had the same problem with my Bonneville & I have successfully cleaned & unstuck mine several times. But look for a good price on one & purchase one or find one at a local auto parts recycler.

It may take a few starts for your service engine light to go out after repair.
This is a typical problem with GM EGR valves, good luck

RonReb
02-07-2007, 04:13 PM
GM had several problems with their V6 engines of your vintage, one was a problem that may or may not be related to Dexcool antifreeze (orange stuff) eroding the rubber intake manifold gasket. Most gasket manufactures have remedied this with metal inserts etc,. The other problem GM has hade is with the thermoplastic intake plenum being eroded or melted (I've read) by the EGR port that comes from the EGR valve. Both of these defects can cause the engine to consume antifreeze be it into the engine oil or the cylinder.
I know because my Bonneville started to consume antifreeze, which I caught in time.
There is also a thermoplastic 90-degree fitting on the front of the 3.8 liter engine that cracks & leaks, mine was also.
These problems are probably not related to error code P4106 though.
If your a good investigator & are mechanically inclined you can fix both of these problems, but be careful don't bite of more than you can chew.
I was able to repair my Pontiac, but luckily I'm an old motor head.
Good Luck

BNaylor
02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
GM had several problems with their V6 engines of your vintage, one was a problem that may or may not be related to Dexcool antifreeze (orange stuff) eroding the rubber intake manifold gasket. Most gasket manufactures have remedied this with metal inserts etc,. The other problem GM has hade is with the thermoplastic intake plenum being eroded or melted (I've read) by the EGR port that comes from the EGR valve. Both of these defects can cause the engine to consume antifreeze be it into the engine oil or the cylinder.
I know because my Bonneville started to consume antifreeze, which I caught in time.
There is also a thermoplastic 90-degree fitting on the front of the 3.8 liter engine that cracks & leaks, mine was also.
These problems are probably not related to error code P4106 though.
If your a good investigator & are mechanically inclined you can fix both of these problems, but be careful don't bite of more than you can chew.
I was able to repair my Pontiac, but luckily I'm an old motor head.
Good Luck

Ronreb,

Thanks for your input but please try to keep the thread on track by limiting replies to the 3100 engine only. The 3800 is irrelevant to this discussion and UIM/LIM problems differ significantly. Thanks for your future cooperation.

jimbo13kaz
02-08-2007, 12:11 PM
hey i dont know if you still need it but i had this problem also right after i had transmission work. it turned out to be a disconnected hose in the cover for the coolant reserve as soon as i put it back in place the light went off

Add your comment to this topic!