Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rb20det swap questions

exiel_danei
12-04-2006, 10:36 PM
i promised myself i wouldnt do it but i just bought an mgb from a guy who had it barn stored for $550 and its in extremely good condition considering the price. i thought to myself "ok i'll swap the 3.5l rover v8 into it and keep it powerful and relatively english sport at the same time" but looking at the work and budget i have it looks like i'm taking a new direction.

my brother found the rb20det (skyline swap) for $900 +shipping.
i do have a heavy amount of experience when it comes to odd swaps but im not sure of the mgb's component stability. for example the rear diff... how will it hold up to 200+ ft/lb of torque? i dont plan on beating it or dumping the clutch, so under normal driving can it withstand?

has anyone done this swap before? id like to see pictures or ask about relative modifications i'd need to undertake. - thanks all for your interest - exiel

KimMG
12-05-2006, 12:18 AM
http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/list.php?40

Flash75
12-05-2006, 04:03 PM
The MGB differential will not hold up under that much of an increase in torque. Have you done any measuring to see if the engine will fit without extensive modifications? Are you capable of installing the the Skyline electronics into the MGB and sorting out all the bugs? Lots of work and much more expense than the cost of a $900 engine. My 2c.

Clifton

exiel_danei
12-06-2006, 05:17 PM
hey, thanks for the responces, i've done alot of research and i've come up with a slieght approach to the upgrades. the rear diff. will be replaced with a nissan 240sx rear which will be alot of modification work but will accept the trans driveshaft with no trouble.

as for the other concerns you asked i've thought most if not all of this through. the wiring will be alot of work i recon, using the rb20s harness and parts from a 300zx, although i'me comfortable with the involved modifications. i'm using an autometer gauge set for a more modern speedo tach etc etc.

a gentleman who had modified a jdm mazda engine in his 68 triumph informs me that fitment if a matter of cutting and molding, again its a decent amount of work. the crossmembers will be strengthened and custom welded, including mounts and adapters. the steering system is yet to be addressed but im sure it wont be a problem with alittle time and thought.

expense-wise i've found myself slapping my forehead a few times but it really isnt that pricey considering the project in itself is quite an undertaking. i'll need to fab exhaust and an intake system, an FMIC system, relocate a few things, upgraded radiator, heater lines, dual electric fans, strengthen its suspension and charging system. i dont plan on having the luxury of AC but then again maybe i'll consider going back after its finished

in the end most 240and 300 parts will maintain it ie: oil change fuel filter trans fluid clutch kit water pump batteries belts sparkplugs... all interchangible
... i'll post photos of my progress when i begin.

thanks - exiel

Add your comment to this topic!