Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4WD User Guide

90sabre
12-04-2006, 08:58 PM
OK, I know this sounds stupid. But I've never owned a 4 wheel drive Dodge, and I'm wondering if anyone has the original instructions or just general tips on how to operate it properly.(my truck didnt come w/ the manual) I can engage it and disengage it fine. But I want to make sure I'm doing it the right way. Thanks!

I Love my Truck!
99 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4X4

BleedDodge
12-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Don't use it on dry pavement. And don't engage it above 55 mph. Everyone I know usually engages it at a stop, but I don't know if that's a rule or a peace of mind thing. I'm a 2wd person.

4x4 only gets you twice as far and twice as stuck, that's a fact. 4x4 doesn't make you invulnerable on the road either. I'm not judging you, that's just something I'd put if I was writing a user guide, heh. Bored.

sweetness88olds
12-04-2006, 10:37 PM
4WD drive has gotten me out of a lot of messes. I dont agree that it gets you twice as stuck. I do agree that you are not invulnerable on icy/snowy roads and I hate the assholes that think they are.

BleedDodge
12-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Twice as far and three times as stuck? I guess it all depends.

90sabre
12-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Don't use it on dry pavement. And don't engage it above 55 mph. Everyone I know usually engages it at a stop, but I don't know if that's a rule or a peace of mind thing. I'm a 2wd person.

4x4 only gets you twice as far and twice as stuck, that's a fact. 4x4 doesn't make you invulnerable on the road either. I'm not judging you, that's just something I'd put if I was writing a user guide, heh. Bored.

I know what you mean, I see plenty of jackasses in 4X4's on the side of the road because they think as long as they're in 4WD they can do 90 on ice and snow. I definately understand the limitations, just wanted to make sure I'm using it properly. Thanks for the feedback

crazys182003
12-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Also if you are in deep mud or snow or stuck badly use 4lo its there for a reason. Best way to engage low is rolling in nuetral slowly like 3 mph push it into low then put back in drive or reverse. Never go over 35 I think it is with low. It is almsot virtually impossible I think anyways. Once you are unstuck and can use high switch back. and again never use 4x4 on dry pavement or with different tire sizes. Exzample.....front tires are P245/75R16 back tires are P265/75R16. it will ruin your entire drive system.

BleedDodge
12-06-2006, 03:38 PM
My 2wd's can go through alot. I have sure-grips in the back of my trucks, whereas most of my friends with 4x4 have limited slip on both axles, and I can go pretty much wherever they go.

Chris Stewart
12-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Don't 4WD on pavement and avoid lots of traffic to minimize chances of being involved with poor snow & ice drivers...if I see I'm going to clean pavement, I disengage the 4WD just before I get get completely off the ice/snow and re-engage after I get back on the ice/snow.
I've taken the bus route through town to work and back for 32 years...those roads get plowed and salted first and people in a hurry & big rigs avoid going through town.
You can pull your 2WD friends back on to the road after they slide off into a snowbank or mud hole too.
Here's Cornbread Red ya'll

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/Clunk_/Image023a.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!