Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clean the transfer case?

zachzchw
12-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I had my u joints fixed (again, second time in two years), and asked the guy to check out other things, including all the fluids and so on.
He said my transfer case fluid looked bad, the t case needs to be cleaned and refilled.
My question is, what would make it need to be cleaned out? I drained the old fluid and filled it with new a few months ago. I did use the correct fluid, so Im wondering what would make it need to be changed again already.

muddog321
12-04-2006, 05:05 PM
If a Bravada(??) then you really should be using blue AutoTrak syn fluid as the GM bulletin states for your full time case same with the AutoTrac 236 cases. Yours has clutch packs in it. Now if you did use blue and its now dark (red + blue) its possible the tranmission seal is leaking and red flowing back into the transfer so look at the transmission level.

randy78
12-04-2006, 07:18 PM
i would be very weary of him

changing the fluid is all that would be needed ot be done

if it is THAt dirty then there is something wrong

good point about leakage between the case and the tranny however, that is very possible

good luck

zachzchw
12-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention that it is a bravada.
I put the blue fluid in it when I changed it. I know it sounds like he is just out to make a buck, but he said he would do it if I just bought the fluid, so I dont think thats it.
Its a friend of my father in law, who is the manager of autozone, so he would be doing it as a favor to him, more or less.

Add your comment to this topic!