Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tps

eclipsed at 3am
12-03-2006, 09:44 PM
just wanted to know, besides a check engine light, what symptoms would a faulty throttle position sensor cause?

l_eclipse_l
12-03-2006, 11:53 PM
It may throw off your idle and make the car run rough or randomly surge.

eclipsed at 3am
12-03-2006, 11:55 PM
It may throw off your idle and make the car run rough or randomly surge.

it would run rough and surge, even while driving? and could it only be intermittent, one minute/hour/day work fine and the next, run rough and surge, while idling or driving?

scizzle
12-04-2006, 12:35 AM
yeah, thats pretty much it.

l_eclipse_l
12-04-2006, 07:09 PM
it would run rough and surge, even while driving? and could it only be intermittent, one minute/hour/day work fine and the next, run rough and surge, while idling or driving?

It's could, yes.

eclipsed at 3am
12-04-2006, 07:14 PM
wow all this really helped out a lot. im pretty sure that the tps is failing then. and that would make perfectly good sense, seeing as how thats what the scanner said. on last thing i want to ask about, can you test the tps with a volt meter? if so, how, and what should the results be? thanks for all the advice

scizzle
12-04-2006, 11:51 PM
You could test one with a meter, though probably an ohmmeter. It will most likely be a resistance check. just get a haynes manual from any local autoparts store, online or even meijer or something like that. the book will tell you everything about how to do it and what you need. and its only like ten or fifteen bucks.

defiancy
12-05-2006, 01:20 AM
A present for you my friend.

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tps.htm

scizzle
12-06-2006, 02:05 AM
Excellent research. Thats one to save.

eclipsed at 3am
12-06-2006, 04:24 PM
thanks defiancy, for that link. it seems pretty helpful, ill probably check it tonight or tomorrow. one thing i was wondering, is a chilton or haynes manual the same as a "shop manual" ? i only ask because i notice they say "repair manual" and the chiltons manual is pretty broad, "90-99 mitsubishi eclipse rs/gs/gst/gsx". is there a more specific manual that i can buy?

gthompson97
12-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I have the Chiltons manual and it's awesome, it has breakdown of each of the cars under each "Repair" listing. Either one will work for most of the stuff you need to fix.

eclipsed at 3am
12-09-2006, 11:57 PM
alright hey, this is just an update.

i took the throttle body off today. first thing i saw? one bolt from the tps was missing, it was only held on by the top bolt. i didnt have the multimeter or anything, so i couldnt check that, but i took all the sensors off and completely throttle-body-cleaned the whole thing, and lithium greased the crap out of the throttle plate cable spring thing. one thing about the throttle plate, it feels spongey. it didnt have a very crisp movement like others. it feels ~somewhat~ better than before i put the grease on it. any ideas for that?

l_eclipse_l
12-10-2006, 02:02 AM
WD-40 that bitch until it squeels like a little greased up piggy. :wink:

Soak it in degreaser if you have to. It's probably just really clogged. Then WD-40 it for better movement.

TeamRedLine23
12-10-2006, 01:24 PM
I think i too have a screwd up tps. one day it runs nice, the next day it runs crapy, then the next few days it run nice,then the next runs crapy.

eclipsed at 3am
12-10-2006, 09:16 PM
i read somewhere before about a "wax element" in the throttle body, and as the car heats up it heats up the wax and melts it, and that affects the iac i guess. anybody know anything about that?

defiancy
12-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Wax? Can't imagine them using wax in a motor. Especially because wax melts at temps above 100 degree's.

l_eclipse_l
12-10-2006, 11:43 PM
I agree, they wouldn't put wax anywhere near an engine bay knowing how hot it gets.

eclipsed at 3am
12-10-2006, 11:54 PM
yeah i figured as much. well im gonna soak the throttle body tomorrow and see if that frees it up some, and find another bolt for the tps and get it all dialed in. if the throttle body is still feeling funny ill probably just get a different one. when i push the plate open, when it shuts it feels like its closing on a wad of toilet paper or something, it feels so spongey.

Add your comment to this topic!