Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problems

LEWISM
12-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey Guys,

I am having a problem with an engine code. I had it diagnosed and it came back as " P0440 " which has something to do with the Charcoal Canister. I took it to a mechanic and he said that nothing is wrong with the Canister or the gas cap. Does anyone have any ideas? I don’t want to take it to a GM Dealership where they can rip me off but that’s what he suggested as it may be a problem with the computer. I had it cleared but it came back in a week.

I have a 2002 Cavalier Z24.

Thanks

Lewis

wafrederick
12-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Find a shop that has a smoke machine and it will find the evap leaks real easy.It is real easy to find the leak,smoke will come out with a smoke machine hooked up.There is a green cap under the hood to hook the the smoke machine up to

LEWISM
12-03-2006, 06:14 PM
The mechanic said there was no visible leaks in the evap. system. Have you had this same problem?

GMMerlin
12-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey Guys,

I am having a problem with an engine code. I had it diagnosed and it came back as " P0440 " which has something to do with the Charcoal Canister. I took it to a mechanic and he said that nothing is wrong with the Canister or the gas cap. Does anyone have any ideas? I don’t want to take it to a GM Dealership where they can rip me off but that’s what he suggested as it may be a problem with the computer. I had it cleared but it came back in a week.

I have a 2002 Cavalier Z24.

Thanks

Lewis

Why do you think the dealer will rip you off...obviously your "mechanic" has no clue about how the system operates.
Read this info
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=622469
It is obvious that your "mechanic" was smart enough to suggest that you take it to the EXPERT (Dealership) for a proper diagnosis.

Add your comment to this topic!