Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'95 tsi awd 6 bolt swap. Need Help with a no start.

scizzle
12-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I have a /95 tsi awd that i put a brand new longblock into. I did the 6 bolt swap and after a long road got it started... but after 4 miles the flywheel fell offdue to incorrect bolts, they were slightly too short. it sat for while till i got around to replaceing the TO bearing and cluthch disc. PRessure plate and flywheel looked fine. got it all back together, again, and this time i have the no start. I have 155 compression all the way accross, i have new plugs, correctly gapped with new wires. i am getting spark for all four cylinders. looks maybe just a little weak, but overall ok. i have 45 to 48 psi in the line from the filter to the rail, which is slightly high because of the 255 lph fuel pump. new FPR. New starter. new alternator. all electronics work. new battery and cable connections.fresh oil and coolant. correct base timing. the engine rotates fine but will only fire intermittently with a backfire every now and then. im stuck... Suggestions?

Blackcrow64
12-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Did you check to ensure you coil is not bad?

scizzle
12-02-2006, 02:26 AM
I got the manual and there were three checks to do with a meter to see if it was good and it checked good in all three.. Dont remember exactly what they were. resistance nembers.

Blackcrow64
12-02-2006, 01:11 PM
The only other thing I could think of would be a short in your wiring harness somewhere maybe... :dunno:

steviek
12-02-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure but doesn't the starter spin the flywheel to start the car? If so
I bet you its the starter missing the flywheel. Just check to make sure those are alligned properly.

scizzle
12-02-2006, 10:14 PM
yeah, the starter does engage the flywheel. it is called a pinion gear it swings out to engage the flywheel. it is engageing the flywheel or else the engine would not rotate, only the starter would. thank both of you for your input. if anybody happens to ask around or hear or find out anything else post back or pm me. thanks. until then...

scizzle
12-09-2006, 01:19 AM
has anybody heard of having too much fuel pressure not letting your fuel injectors open? called clicking? And what should the fuel pressure be at without the engine running?

defiancy
12-09-2006, 03:23 AM
has anybody heard of having too much fuel pressure not letting your fuel injectors open? called clicking? And what should the fuel pressure be at without the engine running?

Fuel pressure should be set around 40psi. That is what the stock setting is. But as for to much fuel pressure. What are we talking about here? Even if you put a Walboro 255lph HP on there, running the stock FR you should still be able to run the car. The bigger fuel pump will over flow the stock FR but it would only degrade performance enough to make it idle rough.

scizzle
12-10-2006, 01:25 PM
That is the fuel pump i have, with a stock regulator. I figured i should still be starting up. Are there any little stupid things that if you leave them unplugged it won't let the car start, such as a reverse light or anything?

Thor06
12-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Just go through and double check the wiring harness, that was always the cause of my car not starting after getting the head back on.

gthompson97
12-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Have you tested the injectors to make sure they are opening up? That would be my guess, make sure they are all plugged in.

scizzle
12-12-2006, 01:02 PM
:banghead: Ive went over the harness many a time, granted i could still be missing something. i do have one plug not plugged in, but i think it is for somehting on a 7 bolt since i did the swap. i have tried to find out what it is form schematics but i cant find it. so a question for all of you with 2nd gen dsms, what does the 3 prong plug located just after injector 4 and 3 in the harness. i will get wire colors for it today if that would help..:disappoin

defiancy
12-12-2006, 02:24 PM
:banghead: Ive went over the harness many a time, granted i could still be missing something. i do have one plug not plugged in, but i think it is for somehting on a 7 bolt since i did the swap. i have tried to find out what it is form schematics but i cant find it. so a question for all of you with 2nd gen dsms, what does the 3 prong plug located just after injector 4 and 3 in the harness. i will get wire colors for it today if that would help..:disappoin

If you can post up a picture.

scizzle
12-12-2006, 05:20 PM
i could try to get a picture either later tonight or tomarrow, but the wire colors are light green with a white stripe; dark green with a yellow stripe; and a black one. The car was running at one time, and when it was i dont think it was plugged in, but i cant be sure and the car won't start now so.. thanks for all the input thus far as well everbody.

scizzle
12-15-2006, 12:42 AM
The last thing ive came down to is the ecu. If the ecu is bad, how can i check it, or can i have it checked?

gthompson97
12-15-2006, 04:10 AM
I don't really know if there is any way of checking them. I knwo when I first got my car and it died randomly, I had it brought into a local shop and hooked a SHITLOAD of sensors up to it and had to let it run for 2 hours on the lift before it killed again and they figured out it was the ECU. So unless you have a million different testors, I'd try find one somewhere that you could swap in to test.

defiancy
12-15-2006, 05:19 AM
Check your TPS, it could be bad.

scizzle
12-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Well a Tps wouldnt keep the car from running. Right? The ecu doesnt even get anything from the Tps till after the car is started up ad running. i will check it however. And This is for anybody in the Cincinnati area who is willling to take their good 2g ecu and swap it into my car just so i can see if that is the problem, or if anyone has one for cheap, let me know.

defiancy
12-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Well a Tps wouldnt keep the car from running. Right? The ecu doesnt even get anything from the Tps till after the car is started up ad running. i will check it however. And This is for anybody in the Cincinnati area who is willling to take their good 2g ecu and swap it into my car just so i can see if that is the problem, or if anyone has one for cheap, let me know.

Yes it would keep the car from running.

It tells the computer the position of the throttle. If it's bad the computer wouldn't know where the throttle was.

If it was out of adjustment it could cause your car to run strange but it would still run.

Add your comment to this topic!