Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ws6 or cobra

sonofaunowhat
11-30-2006, 04:07 PM
hey everybody.im looking into trying 2 buy a new car this summer.the choice for me would be between 03-04 cobra if i can afford everything that goes with it or a 00-02 trans am ws6.ive always been kind of a ford guy and would favor the cobra over the ws6 but the ws6 would be cheaper 2 buy and insure.just looking for opinions.thanks

98BlackTransAm
12-01-2006, 08:34 AM
i guess it depends what you're going to do to it. the cobras are a little bit faster than the 01-02 ls1's stock for stock and while it's noticeable it's not by a significant amount. both cars have incredible performance for the cost, but keep in mind if you took the $$ you saved from the getting a ws6 over a cobra and spent it on modifications you could make the t/a a LOT faster. btw 98-00 ls1's dont have the ls6 intake just the 01-02's (which is the only real difference), and it's only good for about 5rwhp. my point is you could save even more $$ by finding a 98-00 ls1 and buy the ls6 intake for a couple hundred bucks. good luck with whatever you do, and keep us posted :)

sonofaunowhat
12-01-2006, 04:17 PM
thanks for the info.i thought the ls6 intakes started in 00.i plan 2 just have it as a street car.well see what happens.

BlackGT2000
12-01-2006, 05:35 PM
If you have the means get the Cobra. Now only is it noticeably faster, it is cheaper to make significant gains. I like the Fbody's with LS1s as well but only a fool would recommend against the cobra if you can afford the initial price difference.

98BlackTransAm
12-02-2006, 04:02 AM
If you have the means get the Cobra. Now only is it noticeably faster, it is cheaper to make significant gains. I like the Fbody's with LS1s as well but only a fool would recommend against the cobra if you can afford the initial price difference.

these are just rough numbers,,, but say he has $25k to play with. he could spend just about all of that on an 03 cobra and have pretty much nothing left, or he could spend about $15k on a trans am with the same amount of miles and have $10k left to play with for mods. if you spent $10,000 on a stock ls1 you'd very easily be able to rape that stock cobra even if the ls1 was still n/a.

on the other hand if money is not an object, add a blower to the ls1 and then go form there. or just get a faster stock car than either of them.

Add your comment to this topic!