Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DP rubbing on oil pan

TalonEclipseMixGsx
11-29-2006, 07:58 PM
I took my gsx to the shop to change all the fluids today and i noticed that the flexible part of the downpipe is up against the oil pan. Im sure this isnt good. It doesn't look like its rubbing but im sure everytime i shift it rubbs a little bit and i dont want to get a hole in the pan. On top of that im sure that excess heat is warming up the oil a little more than it should be. I had planned on getting some exhaust wrap tomorrow and wrapping that part of the DP. Does this sound like a good idea to keep the metal on metal rubbing and the heat transfer to the oil to a minimum? Or should i look into doing something else. Taking it to the exhaust shop to get it custom fit is my last option but id like to see if there would be an easier cheaper fix before i take that route. Thanks

nofear39427
11-29-2006, 08:10 PM
I would get that hose away from the pan or try to secure it to something because excessive rubbing isnt a good thing.My neon had a similiar problem with the tranny line and it rubbed a hole in it and next thing i know the tranny went out and my trunk was covered with tranny fluid.It now how a blown engine trying to keep up with my buddies Eclipse but thats a different story.

97gs-t teamrtv
11-30-2006, 08:25 AM
I took my gsx to the shop to change all the fluids today and i noticed that the flexible part of the downpipe is up against the oil pan. Im sure this isnt good. It doesn't look like its rubbing but im sure everytime i shift it rubbs a little bit and i dont want to get a hole in the pan. On top of that im sure that excess heat is warming up the oil a little more than it should be. I had planned on getting some exhaust wrap tomorrow and wrapping that part of the DP. Does this sound like a good idea to keep the metal on metal rubbing and the heat transfer to the oil to a minimum? Or should i look into doing something else. Taking it to the exhaust shop to get it custom fit is my last option but id like to see if there would be an easier cheaper fix before i take that route. Thanks

I had the same problem with my megan downpipe. It bolted on correctly but right onto my oil pan. Rather than take any chances i took it back off a took it to a local muffler shup where they cut and welded in a piece at the neck where it bolts onto the o2. This gave it the extra 2 inches of clearance and only cost $20. I dont have clearance issues with the downpipe to the ground either. Hope this helps.

TalonEclipseMixGsx
11-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Well i took the car to a couple exhaust places today and they either said there was nothing they could do or that they dont work on aftermarket exhausts. Sounded pretty strange to me since im sure most all of the cars they work on they r putting a aftermarket exhaust or making modifications to one. Or maybe they just dont like mitsubishis. Thats why id rather do things myself. So do u think itd be ok to put that heat wrap on it to cut down on the friction between the dp and oil pan. Or maybe i should just take off the DP and bring that to the muffler shop instead of it being installed on my car.

nofear39427
11-30-2006, 09:38 PM
From what Ive seen heat wrap works magic so yes its surely something that you could try.I replaced my hoses with high preassured ones also to reduce the chance of them busting under a load.Good luck and I hope that I have helped in some way.

Add your comment to this topic!