Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Jimmy not starting

70sixspeed
11-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Ok, my Jimmy started running rough last weekend. It recently got to the point where it barely ran and it had no brakes. The "Service Engine Soon" light was flashing (only sometimes though). So before I pulled the code I replaced the dist. spark plugs, plug wires, vacuum lines, and intake hose. None of this actually seemed to make the truck run better. So I backed the truck into my driveway and pulled the codes. It came up with #32. I checked the book and this shows the EGR valve. The problem is that when I shorted the wires out to pull the code, I accidentally did it when the ignition was on, and I'm curious if I fried the ECM because right after I pulled the codes I tried to start it, and it fired a cylinder or two, but eventually stopped firing all together. I cleaned the EGR and that did not help, and then I noticed (after lots of trying to start it) that fuel was dripping from the exhaust. So currently I cant get it to fire, I checked the coil also and it is good. So Im starting to think I fried the ECM since it wont even try to fire now. If it is the ECM they I have found on erelatively inexpenzive at the local parts store, but I know I would have to get the car towed to the dealership and pay $200 just to have it reflashed. Does this sound correct? Can I just use a ECM from a junkyard off a similar vehicle without reflashing?? Sorry so long, just wanted to include all the info I can... Thanks in advance!

blazes9395
11-30-2006, 09:34 PM
You have to get the SERV number off the casing of the ECM and get that identical ECM, if your buying onme from the wreckers. Plug it in and go. If you get a new ECM from a parts store, you have to pull the chip that is loacted in the old ECM, it has a little door with two screws holding it on. Pull the chip off and install it in the new ECM. In short, you don't have to get it reflashed, you have to find an identical ECM at the wreckers, or you pull the chip out from your old one and install it in the new one if you buy the new ECM, no flashing required.

BlazerLT
11-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Your oil is full of fuel as well and your cat is being destroyed.

Don't keep on trying to turn it over until you have it fixed. See if a OBDI scanner can connect to the truck, if it can, the computer is ok.

With fuel coming out the tailpipe, I bet you your fuel injector is shot.

Check fuel pressure when the pump primes with the key on and engine off.

70sixspeed
12-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Ok thats good to know about the junkyard ECM, I thought I would have had to get that reflashed also. Is the chip you are talking about the PROM? If I get the ECM out of a similar vehicle do I have to switch the chip out? And Im guessing that changing the chip is what makes the reflash necessary. I didnt know about the fuel in the oil, so I will definetely change oil asap, and also the fuel pressure is the one thing I have not checked out yet, so I'll do it asap also! I absolutely appreciate the info, Im great with old cars, but new computer controlled cars are still foreign to me, so I feel a little lost. Thanks again for the insight!!vb

BlazerLT
12-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Oh shit, I was just thinking, if you shorted the ECM, you would have blown the fuse.

Check the two ECM fuses, one of them will be burnt out probably!!!

70sixspeed
12-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Fuses were the first thing I checked and unfortunately they were still good. Of course it could not have been that easy!

BlazerLT
12-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Chec k them each for continuity, don't judge them on appearance.

Add your comment to this topic!