Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint mystery

Ranger_X
09-16-2002, 09:50 PM
Hmmmmm, a strange thing has happened with the last 3 bodies I've painted. I bought some truck van and SUV paint at canadian tire when it was on sale. I bought red and gunmetal and decided on color based on the lid. Well when I painted the lightning and the ferrari, both colors sprayed on much darker than what was on the lid. Both colors came in big spray canisters and on the gunmetal one, I finished the canister due to many coats of paint, but it always stayed very dark, almost identical to the paint job I gave my 3000gt (charcoal)

Anyway, so I was in Walmart the other day, and I thought I'd try the duplicolor paint there, so I got a big can of a bright met blue truck van and SUV paint for my 70 mustang mach 1. I started painting it a couple days ago. When i put the first coat on, it was extremely dark, almost a black-blue!!!! I've been putting coats on ever since, and just when I was putting on the last coat, it started to spray out exactly the correct color that's on the lid!!!! Luckily I had enough left to get everything covered in the correct color (it looks awesome BTW) I'll be sure to pile on the clear coat, as I don't want to be polishing through the bright blue to the dark stuff :D

So WTF is going on!? I've never noticed this with regular automotive lacquers (the direct match ones from the smaller canisters) I just don't get it. Any ideas people????

Veyron
09-16-2002, 10:04 PM
My guess is the metallic particles weren't escaping the can evenly, therefor you were getting more of the base paint which would be darker. For example: Sometimes painting with metallics with an air brush you really have to open the nozzle up to get the particles through there.

Add your comment to this topic!