OMG my paint go bye bye

98gpking
11-29-2006, 02:01 PM
ok something very very weird happened to me today and i dont know how or why it did.

i got up and went to autozone about 10am. it was raining. not very hard but average. i got into autozone and my car looked and seemed fine. when i got home from autozone i turned to look at my car to make sure my headlights both flashed...ya know as a check to see if they both are working. anyways i noticed my front bumper looked white. i ran over to it and it looked like something had eaten away at the paint and left a dull white bumper. so i pulled the car out of the garage to look at it. and i noticed my entire trunk was white. the back bumper and the parts on the door where the GTP emblem use to be was white. .

i took it to a body shop and he said it looks like the guy before me had the car repainted that was 100% sure. but when they did it they only wet sanded a few areas and then they didnt buff it out afterwards they just put a high grease wax on it and when it rained or something from a car in front of me sprayed on my car and took the wax off leaving the scrathces. the guy wanted 900 bucks just to wet sand, buff and wax my car but he couldnt even promise it would work. he wanted 6,700 for a full paint job.

so i tried to rewax the car. it covered up some but not all of the white splotches.

can somone give me like an idea of the steps i should take to refinish the body of the car to bring back the silver. i have a 10" waxer. can i buy sanding pads to put on it....or is there something different i use, is there a certain rubbing compound out there to use...what grit papers do i use ya know someone help me out i dont wanna pay 900 bucks

maxwedge
11-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Holy cow what a story, like a mystery, what color is the car, was this white under the original color or is the car white? By your " description" this will need a refinish.

BNaylor
11-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah same here Shep, out of curiosity what color is it supposed to be? Check the paint code located at the bottom of the SPID label on the trunk lid and post.

BTW - The top coat is supposed to be a clear coat.

I see you said silver but there are two types. Galaxy (U519F) and some other like Silvermist.

Man, it sounds like the original was white. Repainted Earl Scheib style?

GTP Dad
11-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Are you sure MAACO didn't have something to do with this paint job!! You know the $299 special!

98gpking
11-29-2006, 07:23 PM
hahah no guys...i have no clue about this cars past all i know is the previous owner needs to have his head pulled out of his A$$. anyways the paint code is

U331D

it is a GM color code and is as well a silver color code. here are a few pictures of the color NOT THE DAMAGE i dont have a camera to take damage pictures...plus i dont want anyone laughing at me..

worst part is i was suppose to go to my GP club show this weekend..so much for having a nice car.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2413000-2413999/2413010_2_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2413000-2413999/2413010_3_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2413000-2413999/2413010_10_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2413000-2413999/2413010_12_full.jpg

BNaylor
11-29-2006, 07:39 PM
You've got a unique color.

Basically it is silver. LT SLATE MET - U331D. Light slate metallic.

98gpking
11-29-2006, 07:47 PM
You've got a unique color.

Basically it is silver. LT SLATE MET - U331D. Light slate metallic.

yea its an awesome color especialy at like dawn when the suns gone but its still kinda light out it looks bright purple...its cool as hell

anyways do you think i should try and wet sand and buff the car myself or leave it to the pros?

BNaylor
11-29-2006, 07:52 PM
I seen similar colored GM cars and it may be normal unless you see something we don't in the pics. That color probably changes when the sunlight hits it. If you insist on redoing it, I would leave it up to a Pro. If you wet sand all you will be doing is removing the clear coat and then get to the base coat which is dull and no shine so you may make it worse.

richtazz
12-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Silver has always been a bad color for paint problems. It's not just GM either. I love the color too, it's sharp and looks great on the lines of the Grand Prix, but when I bought mine, I passed on a Silver one for this reason. I can't count how many Silver cars I've seen with flaking, peeling paint.

98gpking
12-03-2006, 09:22 AM
well im getting a smoking deal on a paint job. ive seen some of the works hes done and it seems quality.

he told me he would sand and buff the car for 200 but he told me hed paint the whole thing any color for 600. so im thinking about repainting it the silver mist i have now but doing black along the bottom i think itll look awesome

anyone have any pictures or painting idea suggestions for me...im up for any ideas

maxwedge
12-03-2006, 10:11 AM
600 for a complete repaint?, something is wrong the materials alone cost that.

98gpking
12-03-2006, 08:50 PM
600 for a complete repaint?, something is wrong the materials alone cost that.

thats just what i was told...he said it might be a little more for the black on the bottom. but he said seeing as im friends with the his son and ive had nothiung but problems with my car hes giving me a great deal. ive seen the guys work and hes been doing body work for 28 years so imn assuming he knows what hes doing...well see i gues

Add your comment to this topic!