Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fan Clutch??

oldchevy
11-29-2006, 02:17 AM
hey guys.

Time for me to find another problem to fix on my 91 c1500 4.3L, automatic, no a/c

What are the signs of a failed or failing fan clutch? Also, if it's bad can it cause any other damage to the engine or water pump area?

How do I test the fan clutch to make sure it's not bad? I heard that they should spin free, but mine has a lot of tension on it, it moves just a bit when I try to spin it. (it moves both ways)

Also, I know there are some specifics about making sure the I know the rear axle ratio (how do I find that info) to buy the correct part and also making sure it's a reverse rotation style (how is that determined) and the mounting distances from the clutch hub to water pump and fan blade to clutch distances..I did not think it would be this heady.

thanks in advance.

silicon212
11-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Usually a bad fan clutch will get noisy, the fan could freewheel. You could grab a fan blade and if the clutch is bad, the fan will wobble in the front/rear plane. A bad fan clutch can very well take out the water pump.

oldchevy
11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
after some research i answered my own question. A reverse direction fan clutch is one that has the water pump driven by the serp belt via the smooth side of the belt.

When warm there should be tension on the fan and little to no spin.

When cold, it should spin no more than three turns at most..if that.

twistedtech
11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Usually a bad fan clutch will get noisy, the fan could freewheel. You could grab a fan blade and if the clutch is bad, the fan will wobble in the front/rear plane. A bad fan clutch can very well take out the water pump.
Not allways true,a clutch fan can lock up and I would love to see you grab that one.

Tall
11-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Not allways true,a clutch fan can lock up and I would love to see you grab that one.

Dont grab it unless the engine is off! Metal Fans eat fingers! :grinyes:

randy78
12-02-2006, 11:18 AM
yes youonly grab it with the engine not running lmao

it should have real good resistance, especially when its hot, if not then its toast, common issue with these and it will most lilely over heat, and that would be at low speeds and sitting idling, when the fan is most needed

good luck

Add your comment to this topic!