Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Maintenance on 2003 Alero GL

cubanreuben
11-28-2006, 05:50 PM
I didn't get an answer in a previous post, but it was dead anyway, so here goes.

I've only had my car for 54000 miles. I would like to keep it as long as I can, assuming nothing happens "out of my control." As many of you know, I own a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL with the 2.2L Ecotec engine. It's a 4 speed automatic.

What do I need to do for preventative maintenance? I clean my air filter every 3000 miles (I have a K & N air filter), and I run Penzzoil Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Oil, and change my oil when my Change Oil light comes on or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first. I also follow the manual for all maintenance. Is there anything that anyone out there would recommend doing for my car? (I also have it inspected at least once a year, because I usually have it in the shop at least once a year!) Any cost for preventative maintenance is nominal to me...cuz I like the car, just hate how it behaves sometimes!

Thanks, in advance.

xeroinfinity
11-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Sounds like you are on the right track on the maintenance.

For the protection of your transmission I'd consider having the fluid and filter changed.
Your cars manual that should have came in the glovebox recomends changing it every 50k miles.
They make synthetic trans fluid too, wouldnt hurt to switch to that now.

It is expensive! IMO its worth the money, cheaper then a new trany :grinyes:

You may also think about changing the fuel filter.

biv343
11-29-2006, 11:34 AM
I agree about the tranny fluid change. I did mine around 65000 miles. I don't buy into the "sealed for life" bit they say about the transmissions.

Unless you're in a really dusty environment, cleaning the air filter every 3000 miles is probably overkill. I do mine twice a year - late winter and early fall. That's usually about 12K between cleanings, but I drive a lot. It won't hurt anything cleaning it more often, just costs you a bit more for the cleaning solution and oil.

cubanreuben
11-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys for all your help. I'm probably gonna have the tranny flushed before 60,000 miles...is that ok??? After all these repairs, I'm just gonna wait a bit. I've got almost 55,000 miles, so can I wait?

Thanks again for all you guys help. This forum rocks--I know I have a place to turn for real answers!

xeroinfinity
11-29-2006, 08:36 PM
hanks guys for all your help. I'm probably gonna have the tranny flushed before 60,000 miles...is that ok??? After all these repairs, I'm just gonna wait a bit. I've got almost 55,000 miles, so can I wait?

Thanks again for all you guys help. This forum rocks--I know I have a place to turn for real answers!

:nono:
I would stay away from Flushing the transmission.
It washes away to much good friction materials so the trany will wear faster.
Thus leading to expensive repairs, and nobody needs that.

cubanreuben
11-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track on the maintenance.

For the protection of your transmission I'd consider having the fluid and filter changed.
Your cars manual that should have came in the glovebox recomends changing it every 50k miles.
They make synthetic trans fluid too, wouldnt hurt to switch to that now.

It is expensive! IMO its worth the money, cheaper then a new trany :grinyes:

You may also think about changing the fuel filter.

:nono:
I would stay away from Flushing the transmission.
It washes away to much good friction materials so the trany will wear faster.
Thus leading to expensive repairs, and nobody needs that.

I'm a bit confused... So since it's passed the 50,000 mile mark, you wouldn't do the transmission fluid flush now? Or you would have me the fluid drained and the filter changed? I've heard mixed opinions about flushes...but should I still drain it??? If so, is it something I can easily do myself, or would I be better to take it somewhere else? Here's the main reason I'm asking...I have to perform my scheduled maintenance so that with my claim with GM, i can say "i've done all the schedule maintenance, and my car is still acting like a piece of ****."

xeroinfinity
11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Yes I would change the fluid and filter.

Flushing is not good.

You can do it DIY you'll need something to contain the 7 quarts of fluid that'll drain out, and be able to dispose of it properly.

cubanreuben
11-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Yes I would change the fluid and filter.

Flushing is not good.

You can do it DIY you'll need something to contain the 7 quarts of fluid that'll drain out, and be able to dispose of it properly.

Thanks for the clarification :). I didn't read into the difference of "flushing" and just "draining". I'll probably have someone else do it, because I doubt there's a good way to do it in the city. Is there a certain brand you would recommend for fluids &/or transmission filters? I do drive in the mountains, so I would like to get something real good, because I DO NOT want to have to get a new transmission :).

BNaylor
11-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Is there a certain brand you would recommend for fluids &/or transmission filters?

I use non-synthetic Castrol Dextron-III ATF and a GM/AC Delco screen filter, part number 24221762.

xeroinfinity
11-30-2006, 12:30 PM
I too use Castrol Dextron-III ATF in my GA GT, the SE is full synthetic, Castrol SYNTEC/Full Synthetic DEXRON-III .

Filters GM AC Delco :thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!