Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Speedometer not working

F!SH 3
11-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Well last night i was driving home from work on the freeway. going about 85 mph my speedomter needle just dropped and decided not to work. how can i fix this? This is on my 98 GST.

Thanks

l_eclipse_l
11-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Did you try taking the plastic panel off and seeing if the needle was just loose? Does it work at all, or does it just stay limp all the time?

Mikelb
11-28-2006, 03:57 PM
my assumption is gonna be the speedometer gear... it's the little device that sits on top of the differential... they're made of plastic and can be destroyed pretty easily if it misses a tooth on the metal differential gear...

I had one go to shits in the Stealth... I don't think you have to remove the transmission to fix that... just trace the speedo cable outta the firewall to the tranny, pull the sensor and check the teeth... if need be, replace it...

david-b
11-28-2006, 05:11 PM
It sits on top the tranny. You have to take out the battery tray and its right there then. Should be your problem

F!SH 3
12-01-2006, 05:21 PM
ok.. i realized that everything works except the speedometer.. the tripometer and i think its the techometer.. so the rpm gas and turbo and temp all work. exept everything thats inside the speedometer.

Mikelb
12-02-2006, 10:17 AM
ok.. i realized that everything works except the speedometer.. the tripometer and i think its the techometer.. so the rpm gas and turbo and temp all work. exept everything thats inside the speedometer.

If you're speedometer doesn't work, neither will your tripmeter. They run off of the same sensor. Everything else should work, they run off of different sources/sensors

Add your comment to this topic!