Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 Camry Power steering weak

hibouxj
11-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Love this website! I'm looking for some advice on about my power steering. Upon engine start there is no power steering as the seconds tic by the power steering slowly increases until it's full there. I takes about a minute, maybe two. The fluid level is right and it hasn't leaked at all. Is the pump going out? Power steering fluid filter? Needs a flush? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hibouxj

RIP
11-27-2006, 11:35 PM
If the belt isn't slipping change the fluid. Beyond that it's probably time for a new pump.

hibouxj
12-08-2006, 07:01 AM
Does anybody have the step-by-step on a power steering flush on an 87 Camry? I'd like to give that a try.

DFBonnett
12-08-2006, 11:47 AM
The best way to do it and to keep yourself out of trouble is to buy a quart of whatever yours takes, probably Dexron III, suck as much out of the reservior as you can with a turkey baster or Mighty Vac then refill with fresh. Do this every day for a few days. See if it helps. If it does, keep doing it until you're satisfied with the results. If it doesn't help you probably need a new pump.
The problem with pulling lines off of a 20 year old car to do a "flush" is that sometimes they break and then you have a real problem.

RIP
12-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Saw something on the forum about a P/S system cleaner made by SeaFoam. They make throttle body and fuel system cleaners that folks speak highly of. I'd bet this stuff would do a good job too. Completely agree with DFB. Pulling a hose off a car especially a 19 year old car is risky. Course it wouldn't hurt to change the hoses while you're at it.

JOET/CAMRY
12-08-2006, 04:46 PM
The best way to do it and to keep yourself out of trouble is to buy a quart of whatever yours takes, probably Dexron III, suck as much out of the reservior as you can with a turkey baster or Mighty Vac then refill with fresh. Do this every day for a few days. See if it helps. If it does, keep doing it until you're satisfied with the results. If it doesn't help you probably need a new pump.
The problem with pulling lines off of a 20 year old car to do a "flush" is that sometimes they break and then you have a real problem.

using the turkey baster method is the way I replaced my power steering fluid on my 1989 camry. every time I had the hood open on my car this summer working on it / doing maintenence on it I would remove as much power steering fluid as possible with the turkey baster. then I would add new fluid up to the full line on the reservior. I did this around 5 - 6 times over a 3 month period. now the fluid is bright red / brand new and I didn't have to remove any rusty power steering lines to do a flush and possibly end up with broken power steering lines and/or leaks. :smile: Lucas makes a product for power steering pumps that have seals that leak. I don't know if it helps power steering pumps that are worn out/ failing.:2cents:

Regards,
JOET/CAMRY

hibouxj
12-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll give it these a try, including the seafoam. I ran some of that up the brake booster vacuum line this weekend, shut off the engine for five minutes and restarted. A lady who was driving by stopped her car and came running to see if everyone was alright. Car idles a little smother now.

hibouxj
12-20-2006, 06:00 AM
I flushed it using the turkey baster method and it helped quite a bit. Thanks all!

Add your comment to this topic!