Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Alero coolant issue, dipstick oil milky. Head gasket or LIM?

gcross
11-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Awesome site first off, lots of information. That said hope you guys can help.

My girlfriend has a 99 Alero which I have been researching on here that says it is known for LIM issues. She has previously had cooling issues to which the water pump was replaced 3 years ago and then about a year and half ago it started with needing water/coolant fairly often. Well lately it seems that we are putting water/coolant into the engine more and more frequently. Today however things got worse, the nice coolant light which comes and goes as it pleases stayed on steadily for our hour trip. On the way home the temp went well above what is normal almost to the last white tic on the temp gauge and i thought I smelled something. Stopped and picked up a gallon of water and prestone antifreeze and poured into the overfill resvoir, not 10 miles down the road, the light came back and i put more water/coolant in. Made it home and checked the ground and underneath for leaks and saw nothing. Checked the dipstick and the oil on the stick looks like snot. Is this a lower intake manifold gaskent issue or an upper or what or both? Also how much could we be looking at to get this fixed, going to call around tomorrow and see about estimates but wanted to pick everyone heres brains first before I call. Thanks in advance for the information.

BNaylor
11-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Welcome to AF.

If you have the 3400 V6 engine a common problem is the lower intake manifold gaskets. GM revised the gaskets in later model Aleros.

Job cost varies and could range from $450 - $850 including parts.

The LIM, UIM and throttle body gaskets should all be replaced on this type of job.

gcross
11-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Welcome to AF.

If you have the 3400 V6 engine a common problem is the lower intake manifold gaskets. GM revised the gaskets in later model Aleros.

Job cost varies and could range from $450 - $850 including parts.

The LIM, UIM and throttle body gaskets should all be replaced on this type of job.

Thanks for the reply. Yes its the 3.4 V6. Would a malfunction of the LIM cause the coolant leak into the oil?

BNaylor
11-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes its the 3.4 V6. Would a malfunction of the LIM cause the coolant leak into the oil?

Definitely, that is one symptom. Also, there are other symptoms but you may not have them all. Driveability problems to include misfire. Low engine vacuum. Overheating. Coolant being consumed but no oil contamination. I would bet on the LIM gaskets. GM has the improved ones and so does aftermarket companies like FelPro. Also, there is a new LIM bolt torqueing pattern per a GM TSB that has been out on the 3400 for a few years now.

Bad head gaskets could cause it too but you'd have to run a compression test or a cooling system leak down test. With bad head gaskets you would have major overheating and driveability issues. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

gcross
11-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Definitely, that is one symptom. Also, there are other symptoms but you may not have them all. Driveability problems to include misfire. Low engine vacuum. Overheating. Coolant being consumed but no oil contamination. I would bet on the LIM gaskets. GM has the improved ones and so does aftermarket companies like FelPro. Also, there is a new LIM bolt torqueing pattern per a GM TSB that has been out on the 3400 for a few years now.

Bad head gaskets could cause it too but you'd have to run a compression test or a cooling system leak down test. With bad head gaskets you would have major overheating and driveability issues. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Awesome thanks for the info. I'm hoping it will be just the LIM gaskets, as this HAD to happen right at christmas.:banghead: Would you recommend taking it to a dealer, that is if i can find one that wont rip me off or a well recommended private mechanic?

Also meant to add that on the drive home there was no difference in the temp, stayed at or around what she says is normal. The only tempature increase was before we stopped and picked up the coolant/water.

xeroinfinity
11-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Just an FYI driving the car with the coolant in there can kill the motor quick!
Even scratches on the bearings is not good for the long run.
Good Luck!

gcross
11-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Update: Spoke to a friend of mine who i had totally forgotten was a mechanic and just so happens to work for a pontiac dealership. I was describing the symptoms to him and he cut me short and said "its the lower intake", I was like damn you got it that easy. He said they get that engine in all the time for that exact same problem. Taking it to him this Friday he said around 500 bucks so i really cant complain. She is 3 months from having it paid off so, if we can get another couple years out of it before we have to run it off a cliff i will be happy.

Let you guys know how the repair works out.

jrozanc
11-30-2006, 05:51 AM
Update: Spoke to a friend of mine who i had totally forgotten was a mechanic and just so happens to work for a pontiac dealership. I was describing the symptoms to him and he cut me short and said "its the lower intake", I was like damn you got it that easy. He said they get that engine in all the time for that exact same problem. Taking it to him this Friday he said around 500 bucks so i really cant complain. She is 3 months from having it paid off so, if we can get another couple years out of it before we have to run it off a cliff i will be happy.

Let you guys know how the repair works out.

FYI $500 from a stealership is a really good price. I was quoted $800-$1000 in michigan. The lowest price I had was $450 from a ma/pa shop. Hope it works out for you.

vamc
12-02-2006, 09:13 PM
I have 1527xx miles on mine. mine does it all the time. I had my gasket replased already. We all know about the gaskets. Still i had the same issue.

xeroinfinity
12-03-2006, 11:31 AM
The revised GM gaskets are much better now.

Fel Pro also makes great gaskets too :D

gcross
12-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Car is running great now. Wanted to give you guys an update. My boy that worked on it did a great job. Thanks for all the help guys.

Add your comment to this topic!