clear coat coming off

95firebird3.4
11-26-2006, 12:17 PM
so on my hood the clear coat is coming off and it bugs me so much. do autozone sell some type of clear coat to fix it or should i just have the whole car redone. its only coming off the hood but i noticed its starting to come off the trunk to. is there anything i can use to help prevent it from coming off. thanks

Rally Sport
11-26-2006, 02:23 PM
To prevent it from coming off, wax the car, im sure some people will come in here and throw their opinion on which wax is better, so i'll let them talk you into it. I wax once a year, or until I notice that the wax is off (water doesnt bead). Since the clear is coming off, if you wax it, they will shine again, not as much as the rest of the car, but they'll shine more than without the wax.

CamaroRS92
11-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the world of shitty quality GM Paint!
As Rally said wax will help to "prevent" issues with clear coat but it isn't a cure all. Unfortunately, it wont help a thing after the fact. And until GM decides to paint the cars the right way - these problems will continue and can happen no matter how well you take care of your car.

The only "fix" is to have those areas (or whole car) refinished.

Blackcrow64
11-26-2006, 07:30 PM
My clear is starting to spot peel all over the entire car... :disappoin

CamaroRS92
11-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Wow - I was out and about today and noticed (8) 4th Gen Camaros with clear coat delaminating on the hoods and fenders. was literally amazed on how many I saw just in one town
Red & Blue were the primary colors i noticed but there was one white and one black car doing this too, so it is evidentally not limited to any specific colors.

Many of these i saw were delaminating as bad or worse in some cases than the 3rd Gen Camaros did. (as mine did also)

I really never payed that much attention to this until a couple of threads here on AF including this one got my attention

I thought GM promised that they had this problem solved on the 4th gen cars, but APPARENTLY NOT

stepho
11-29-2006, 10:42 PM
Wow - I was out and about today and noticed (8) 4th Gen Camaros with clear coat delaminating on the hoods and fenders. was literally amazed on how many I saw just in one town
Red & Blue were the primary colors i noticed but there was one white and one black car doing this too, so it is evidentally not limited to any specific colors.

Many of these i saw were delaminating as bad or worse in some cases than the 3rd Gen Camaros did. (as mine did also)

I really never payed that much attention to this until a couple of threads here on AF including this one got my attention

I thought GM promised that they had this problem solved on the 4th gen cars, but APPARENTLY NOT

I think they said "Don't worry we have the solution figured out." And then after the microphone turned off they added "but its too expensive."

Rally Sport
11-29-2006, 11:50 PM
the main reason clear coat comes off is because people are too 'busy' to wax the damn car. I wouldnt neccessarily blame GM's paint shops working on the cars, I blame the owners for not keeping the car's paint in shape by waxing it properly or washing it.

CamaroRS92
11-30-2006, 12:10 AM
the main reason clear coat comes off is because people are too 'busy' to wax the damn car. I wouldnt neccessarily blame GM's paint shops working on the cars, I blame the owners for not keeping the car's paint in shape by waxing it properly or washing it.

In my case I would have to totally disagree with that train of thought.
I have Personally had 2 Camaros that Delaminated the clear. one was black 1986 and the other is my current car Teal 1992
The reason surely wasn't because they weren't washed or waxed because both of those cars were washed about every other day and waxed at 3 month intervals. neither ever went into a high pressure or automatic car wash - always hand washed & towel dried. Both cars were garage kept when not in use to protect from the sun. The problem wasn't fading and oxidation - it was an adhesion problem between the base coat and the clear coat. On the 1986 car it came with a finish protector package called "TekTor" that was supposedly like having isurance policy for paint failures as long as you used the dealer supplied product. But when it came down to the pay off I heard every excuse under the sun as a reason they wouldn't pay the claim.

Further more - the 2 cars i had personal experience with never had any further issues with delamination after the paint was refinished and applied "correctly"

ikeyballz
12-01-2006, 02:40 AM
when they were repainted, are you sure clear coat was applied? some paint shops dont put clears...

CamaroRS92
12-01-2006, 04:50 AM
Absolutely sure that clear was used

Genopsyde
12-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Yea!

Add your comment to this topic!