Right rear tire wont move

roybunch
11-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Help, i drove my van yesterday with no problems, the road was wetand no its cold out. the next day i went to go drive my daughter some where and no the right rear tire wont move???? I moved the van down the road, The ABS light came on ( but not right away) I got the van back home. Does this mean i need to change my rear brakes? Does anyone know if the brakes are drum, disk or shoes, i have no clue.:banghead: hey could my tire be frozen?

wiswind
11-25-2006, 07:43 PM
First, Disk brakes were optional, so you may have them or you may not.
Drum brakes are standard.
You might have a stuck emergency / parking brake for that wheel.
When you pull the parking brake lever, you are pulling a cable that spits into 2 cables, and 1 goes to each of the 2 back wheels.
Maybe the wetness and cold caused them to freeze?

If you do have disk brakes, there is a little drum that has small shoes, that is for the parking brake ONLY.
The main braking, when you step on the brake pedal, is done by pressing pads in from each side of a disk.

If you have the drum brakes (most do), the cable pulls the shoes out agains the drums.
The same shoes are used for the main braking system.

Any number of things can cause a parking brake to stick.

You got the ABS code because the ABS computer expects for all the wheels to be moving when the vehilce is moving....giving signal pulses from each wheel sensor......with 1 wheel not moving, there was no signal coming from that wheel, which would cause the ABS computer to report that something was wrong.

I have pictures of my front disk, and my rear drum brakes posted.
They may or may not help you solve the problem.
I am super big on having all the hardware replaced at a brake job....it is cheap..and it tends to reduce the chances of something like you are experiencing.

rodeo02
11-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Yep, depending on your year/mileage, you are probably due for a rear brake job. My rear wheel cylinders were hanging up badly on my 2001 at around ~60Kmi. The only salvageable parts at that point were the drums.

Joel

96wWindstar180K
11-26-2006, 08:18 PM
your problem could be arear wheel bearing. I believe after 1998 the bearings wer sealed bearings. You are not able to re-pack them with grease. They are pressed in the hub. Probabley the best thing to do is try pulling the wheel. At that time you will be able to detrmine if you have disk or drum brakes. The next step would be to try pulling the drum if they are drums. You might have to use a plastic or rubber hammer to tap all around the outside of the drum to release it as they get rusted. However if they are disk brakes you need to remove the callipers that hold the brake pads. I doupt, if you have disk brakes in the rear that there is a problem with the emergency brake shoes locking up. I have disk brakes in the rear on my 96 and they hold the car from moving but would never lock the wheel to where you couldnt drive. If you have done mechanical work before it is not a terrible job to repair if it is the bearings. I would however have them pressed in at a auto parts store. Post any more info you have and will try to help.

roybunch
11-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Just a update to you all, my brakes were just frozen, we were told to hit the bolts on the rim and if it is frozen it will let go, and it did, i can now drive my van again, I guess this is common in the mini van's to do this. something to remember. thanks for your posts. Tracy:smooch:

LeSabre97mint
11-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Tracy

I would have your brakes checked out. If they stuck once, they might do it again or something worse.

****edit**** sorry, I missed the fact that it was cold out. I believe it should be okay.

Regards

Dan

rodeo02
12-01-2006, 12:07 PM
My rears would do that too. My driveway is a steep incline so I always use the parking brake. A few times last year one of the rears would not release in cold weather. One tire would either drag in the snow until it realeased, or I'd have to get it into the garage and warm the drum. My rear wheel cylinders were shot at 5yrs/60K. I was able to reuse the drums, that's it.

Joel

Reg Saretsky
12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I agree on replacign all the hardware,& the rear slave cylinders.

Brakes on any minivan,are something that you want to work at 100%, due to the higher centre of Gravity, etc.

Add your comment to this topic!