Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Very tall guy needs to modify his Jetta to fit him

CuteBrute
11-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi,

I bought a '92 Jetta a few months ago. It's a fine car for the most part, but there's a problem: I'm too big for it. I'm 6'6" with long legs, and although I have the wheel tilted all the way up and the seat pushed all the way back, I still have to drive with the wheel sitting between my legs and my legs pushed out to the sides. This car is my first stickshift and it was a real pain learning how to shift gears while trying to keep my legs clear of the wheel. I'm good at driving stick now, but there are still problems.

Most of the time it's just a minor irritation to have to drive this way, but sometimes it gets really dangerous, like when I'm making a hairpin turn on the freeway and I can't turn well because my hands bump into my thighs as I turn the wheel. On top of that, I'm moving my left leg as a work the clutch, so my leg rubs against the wheel and screws up my steering even more.

I would consider getting another car, but I sat in literally a hundred different cars before buying this one, and I had the same issue with all of them--except for the Dodge Magnum, which I don't like and can't afford anyway.

I've taken a close look at the situation, and I think two things need to happen: the seat needs to move back about a foot farther than it currently does, and the wheel needs to telescope out toward me about 6-12 inches. Is it possible to extend the seat track so the seat will go back farther? (I don't need to worry about leaving room in the passenger seat behind me.) Also, is it possible to install some kind of aftermarket parts to make the wheel telescope?

G-man422
11-25-2006, 11:08 AM
i would suggest a different car. trade in the jetta, and get a car w/ more room.

BluesCruiser
11-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Do You Duck When Going Under Bridges

danny_wdz
02-15-2007, 02:21 AM
have you considered buyin a truck instead of a car?

imilla52
03-28-2007, 08:55 PM
you could just put new seats in or take a trac of a car that has bigger seats or something that goes back forward or fab ur own if u can do that

Add your comment to this topic!