Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

P1105 DTC Dual upper alternator fault

TalonEclipseMixGsx
11-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Tonight i went to go move my car so out of somebody way in the driveway and the check engine light came on. I hooked up the data logger and it said p1105 Dual upper alternator fault. I cleared it and it came back. Checked the alternator and its putting out what it should be. Then I did a search on yahoo and a few people talked about it being a faulty fuel pressure regulator, but didnt have anything to say about what they did to fix it. The car runs fine, since i fixed the boost leaks, no fuel cut or anything wrong with the performance. Everything looks normal on the data logger. It was about 35*F tonight if that would matter. Anybody have any suggestions, or heard of this trouble code?

TalonEclipseMixGsx
11-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Well the car kept doing it until eventually it wouldnt turn over come to find out my positive battery terminal wasnt on very well. Replaced that and the light went off. That was about the last thing i would have thought to check.

Mikelb
11-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Sry I wasn't up here to respond... but yeah, one of the first things I'd check when something concerning the altenator comes up is the battery cables. If they aren't making a good connection, the altenator won't be able to charge the battery properly. If the wires from the battery come off (the + can weld itself to something, happened to my hood once) the CEL can illuminate.
Next, I'd check the connections to the altenator itself. If all of the connections look good, clean, and aren't loose; then I'd check the altenator. To do this, start the car. Once started, remove the battery cable (either is fine). If the car dies, it was running on the battery and the altenator will need to be replaced. If the altenator is healthy, the car should continue to run.
If all else fails, run to Advance, they'll check the altenator and the battery for free...

Just a lil' FYI for next time...

TalonEclipseMixGsx
11-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah i felt like a real idiot since i have never touched the positive terminal since ive had the car i didnt even think to check it. When i checked to see if the alternator was charging the battery it was steady on 13.5 volts so because of that i automatically ruled out the charging system even though i should have known better than that. Oh well it was a simple fix hopefully this will help somebody out one day.

Mikelb
11-29-2006, 02:17 PM
That's why I posted it, even though your problem was fixed. In less than a week, someone's gonna come up here with the same question... why not point them to the answer instead of rewriting it everytime... ;)

Add your comment to this topic!