Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Explorer Transmission/Horn/Cruise

xFatcatx
11-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Posted a while ago about hard shifting with the transmission. 70000 miles, 4liter SOHC, Automatic, 4WD. I changed the filter and fluid, added some Lucas but problem still there, no better no worse. Cant afford a $2500 tranny fix. Was reading old posts and found one about a Digital Range Sensor. Anyone know anything about this, its location, can i replace it or adjust it?

Also the Horn and Cruise Control quit working a while ago. Im going to go check some fuses on it now but any help is appreciated. Thank You

shorod
11-25-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm assuming you have the 4-speed automatic transmission rather than the 5-speed auto which apparently was an option.

The Digital Transmission Range (DTR) sensor is located on the driver's side (in US) of the transmission, about halfway between the bell housing and the tail shaft, just above the transmission pan.

If you have access to a profession scan tool with the datastream mode, you can use the scan tool to determine if the DTR sensor is registering the correct gear.

If you'd like a PDF version of the DTR sensor test procedure from the factory service manual, private message me with the request and an e-mail address for you that can accept attachments.

As for the horn and cruise control not working, they both use the clockspring assembly in the steeering column. If the horn clockspring is open, the speed control will never be able to turn on. The power for "On" is provided through the horn clockspring, and if the horn button is pressed, the "On" signal goes to ground and deactivates according to the wiring diagram. Likewise, if the horn/cigar lighter fuse is blown, I guess you'll never be able to turn the speed control "On" (fuse 10 in the Battery Junction Box).

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!